LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weipa Oldie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weipa Oldie
    Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:38am
I picked this lure up on e bay a few months back and apart from the cool classic NQ look to its build, the name written on the underside caught my attention. 
After a few msgs and eventually a few beers with his brother and nephew, both of whom are good friends of mine, I was able to confirm that this was made by Derrel Wust here in Weipa in 1975/76. 
He was a trainee up here at the time and made 6 of these for his boss. 
After a couple of years in Weipa I believe Derrel returned to the coast of central Qld.  Following his brothers exploits in Weipa his brother Gavin came to Weipa in the late 80s where he raised his family and worked for 30+ years and is now enjoying his retirement. 
It was quite enjoyable hearing the story of this lure and personally showing it to Gavin and his son Steven. 
I would love to hear from anyone who has or knows the whereabouts of any of the other lures. 
Thanks for looking. 

Dan
Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm
Has a Norm Edwards look about it.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:59pm
It does hey. 
I was only thinking that today. 
I have a mate that hopefully has a few flat sided Edwards. Be interesting to see them together. 
Dan
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:08pm
Cool looking lure and great that you know it's history
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 6:13pm
Wusts very keen Yeppoon fisho family 😀👍
Cheers Steve R  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic