Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things I have learnt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things I have learnt
    Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:48am
I'm starting this new thread to pass on things that I have learnt over time and would really appreciate input from others.

I'll start with a few-

1/ Fluorocarbon has very little benefit over monofilament leader material in terms of invisibility. If you "You Tube" this you will see it only offers a minute extra benefit. (I like the Schneider leader material, failing that just normal mono).

2/ Many leader materials are very slippery and even very well tied knots can pull out. A dab of Super Glue on the knots help to stop his. The softer materials hold better as the knot forms into itself better.

3/ Some timber lure makers do not seal their blanks. When the paint is broken / worn through/ bitten through, water is absorbed by the timber and can ruin the action. I have such a lure and it had swollen up so much that the rest of the paint has cracked through the expansion of the timber and lets even more water in totally deforming the lure. 

Even when timber lures are sealed, the sealing agent usually does not penetrate more then a few millimetres so deep wounds can let water in. Super Glue over these will help to  reduce water absorbtion.

4/ Lures are not necessarily species specific. I've caught GTs on jointed murray cod lures, barra on murray cod lures, murray cod on barra lures - experiment.

5/ Many lures work well for the species they are made to target.  But as in the above point you may need to make small alterations. Changing hook sizes is a good way to adapt a lure. A KAuttafurra yellowbelly lure was turned into an awesome coral trout lure because I put on much heavier  hooks to stabilize it with the very fast rip wind action I use over the shallow reefs. As the lure was it had a great action for yellowbelly, bass and even barra.

I also often use a wire leader to alter the characteristics of a surface lure - dig the nose down that little bit more - usually very helpful in rougher water. 

Let's hear other people's hints.Big smile You just may help me solve an issue I'm dealing with. Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2022 at 8:07pm
Something I learned from a squid fisherman:

Solder (used for stained glass) added to hooks or hangers will change the buoyancy/sink rate of a lure. This way you can use a thin gauged hook for penetration and still increase the rate your lure sinks or the length of cast.

a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 12:36am
Slow sinking lures work very well on oz bass etc around morred yahts etcWinkWinkmore time in the strike zonesClapClapClap
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 6:48am
 Fluorocarbon has very little benefit over monofilament leader material in terms of invisibility

I've used braid since it first came out (Power Pro which I don't care for) and found many advantages over other line types. Knots never come out; good light-strike detection when using small lures cast over 40' away + zero stretch for good hook sets (so make sure the rod has enough flex and the reel a drag that's not to tight). Line diameter is thinner than another type: i.e. 10# test is 6# diameter. Good for not impeding lure action.

Fish aren't affected by line visibility. Their attention is solely on the lure and will strike it if the lure is of the right size, action and going at the right speed(s). Line diameter that's too thick will affect lure action - especially smaller subsurface lures that need a bit of finesse.

Lures are not necessarily species-specific.
No lure is - especially soft plastics and many hard lures. On any one day I can catch 4 species on the same lure and in a range of fish sizes from 3" fish to 7# catfish. I doubt salt water is different. If a lure has the right action and of the right size, many species will strike it as i've illustrated with post pictures.

Lure size on the other hand may exclude smaller fish if it exceeds a certain size as well as the larger hooks needed for larger fish.

JMO

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 6:10am
Know many off you use different leaders. This not is inventet by a Dane E G Michelsen and is very strong
Maybe some off you can use it 

Knaek & Break
          Per

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
spooonminnow View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonminnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:09pm
That's a uni-knot if I'm not mistaken and the only knot I use for line-to-lure and the double-uni leader-to-line. The knot never comes loose!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 8:16pm
A selection of colours in nail polish is great for touching up lures or adapting the colour of a lure to the local bait.

Always check  the line roller on your thread line reel works freely. Failure to do this can cause a huge amount of friction over time leading to line weakness. At the worst, a hit from a big fish can snap the line at the roller.

Carry a couple of spare trebles and split rings with you. If a treble becomes too weak just change it.

Check your rod's guides regularly for cracks or breakages as his can damage your line leading to unexplained line failure. Passing cotton wool through the guide will tell if your guide is cactus because strands of it will get caught in he cracks.

When netting or gaffing a fish lift the net / gaff vertically. I've had a net and a gaff broken in the last 2 years by others trying to lift them horizontally.
Martin-

Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 1:36pm
When mixing Envirotex Lite, use a metal paddle to stir, doesn't create air bubbles in the mix. 

Lure colours that consistently work for me, Purple, Green, white and black.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm

1/ Fluorocarbon has very little benefit over monofilament leader material in terms of invisibility. 
the very light ones may have Martin.we changed out our 4lb monofilament flyline tippets for 4lb berkley vanish and noticeably increased our catch rate with trout.
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 1:30pm
Even when timber lures are sealed, the sealing agent usually does not penetrate more then a few millimetres so deep wounds can let water in,
yep,the only way to get sealer to penetrate to a decent depth is to put the lure blank in a pot of epoxy resin in a pressure pot and apply air pressure.This causes the timber  to suck up the epoxy.Most luremakers would'nt do this as its already a lot of work to make a lure(which is for all intents and purposes just terminal tackle just like a hook or sinker)Mind you the price of some lures is so high that they should be almost indestructible!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 3:57pm
This mostly depends upon what timber is used as to the extent of water absorption. But sealed timber lures also create a “ shell” that doesn’t absorb water and helps to keep the shape from any water absorption.
Freshwater trout are known for their great eyes it and very cautious nature, with any similar fish then you want all of the advantages you can get your hands on. For most of our species, fluorocarbon doesn’t make a difference.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 2:49am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

This mostly depends upon what timber is used as to the extent of water absorption. But sealed timber lures also create a “ shell” that doesn’t absorb water and helps to keep the shape from any water absorption.
Freshwater trout are known for their great eyes it and very cautious nature, with any similar fish then you want all of the advantages you can get your hands on. For most of our species, fluorocarbon doesn’t make a difference.
fully agree with you Mate,
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:09pm
Interesting Thread Martin

I have been tying a 6 wrap surgeon knot 8lb fluo to  08mm or  09mm braid without one failure to date

most recently landed 59 and 60cm brown on three gram lures casting into and or side on to very strong winds, winding slowly. 8ft 6inch rod 1  to 3 kg

You do need a little practise for everything to work and get maximum distance.

Regards  John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:42pm
good to see your still getting the big ones John,surgeons knot sounds good
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Interesting Thread Martin

I have been tying a 6 wrap surgeon knot 8lb fluo to  08mm or  09mm braid without one failure to date

most recently landed 59 and 60cm brown on three gram lures casting into and or side on to very strong winds, winding slowly. 8ft 6inch rod 1  to 3 kg

You do need a little practise for everything to work and get maximum distance.

Regards  John

Hope to get down your way next year JohnClap
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic