LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split rings
    Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 1:03am
Can someone give me some pointers on the efficacy of split rings, proper sizing, et cetera.

Exempli grati, would larger rings increase the action or cause the lure to be unstable?
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 10:28am
I don't think there is too much science required! I only use four types: 1H, 2H, 3H and 5H. They suit all my needs, the only pre-requisite is the hooks not to tangle. Just keep the ring size in proportion to the trebles. Hook sizes range from#10 to 1/0... Any larger I may upsize rings as needed.

Fysshe
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 11:51am
Thanks Fysshe for the input. Think I phrased it wrong?

The split ring I meant was on the nose or tow point of lures.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:04pm
I rarely use split rings on the nose of my lures! One way to find out would be to take a selection of different size rings and a lure and test them. In a tank or on the water while fishing... Wink
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:30pm
Sometimes, on small lures with a fine action, I'll use a loop knot or a small "egg type" snap to improve the action.

Fysshe
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 3:32pm
I know your referring to a nose tow point but I’m relation to your comments about lure action and stability, I’ve found that when I’ve added larger/heavier hooks and rings my lures will suspend in the water (or sometimes slowly sink) but this can obviously be adjusted with different trebles and rings. Although minute, the extra weight swung from below the lure may tame and erratic action or reduce an action to a desired level.
I had a larger lure (150mm) that I just upsized from my normal 110mm model and found its rolling action to large to swim at a trolled speed. This was fixed by adding larger and heavier rings and trebles. But like Ian said, not to the point where the trebles hook up.
Dan
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:12pm
I was considering changing out the split ring in hopes to tame the beast or improve the action of lures in general. It helps having general knowledge before making bold approaches on anything.

As for those lures...they have large hooks on the belly, too large in my opinion. This was based on a tournament anglers suggestion.

I've never giving the loop knot a try, don't think it works with braid? Might give it a shot with a fluro leader.

As for snaps of any sort I shy away, lost too many lures when they open in mid air. Fluke occurrences, 1 out of a couple hundred cast. Tried expensive one's and cheapo's it still occurred. Even if you triple check them the force from casting can open them up.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 4:31pm
Loop knot all the way.
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic