LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sharing Balsa Crank-Bait

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharing Balsa Crank-Bait
    Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 10:14pm

Dear All

Good evening !!

During covid 19 locked down here, worked with Balsa timber and crafted 11 crank bait – 5.2cm / 22gm / coffin bill. Just finished 3 with final coat of epoxy and are ready to fix hooks & bill, here are some pics.  

Link to swim action: https://vimeo.com/450049563, https://vimeo.com/450053341

Would appreciate if someone suggests where I can buy short shank treble hooks with mix size online in bulk. Tried here locally unable to find short shank. ( regular shank treble hooks are getting entangle sometimes) . Please guide me as how to measure the sizes of the treble hooks.

Thanks, Regards

Raghubir

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:33am
those came out beautiful mateThumbs Up.Its hard to source hooks here too,last i heard my supplier was very low on stock.I'd say you'd need a number four or number six hook for your lures 
that's no how ye make porridge!
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 6:21am
Good morning  Chris

Thanks for advising on the size of hooks required, is there is any thumb rule for deciding the size of hook for a particular bait or it depend on the size of the bait.

Which make do you all use ?

Have a great day !!

Thanks, Regards
Raghubir
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:47am
Wow they look great
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:36am
You've been a long way since the first Lure you showed us here at Lure Lovers
You have become a real "Lure maker" Thumbs Up
Great respect for your enthusiasm Smile
I usually try to see if the hooks can catch each other when throwing the Lure.
Next point is to look at the actions of the Lure, with different hook sizes. Find the one you like best
Next, I test and see where the Fish takes the Lure.
For example, the Danish Sea Trout often take my Banana Lure in the middle first of the season, when they are completely fresh from the sea. Therefore, I put a slightly larger hook there than usual.
At the end of the season, when the trout have been standing in the creek for a long time and only defend their stand, I can think of placing a single hook further back, as they usually only "push" to the bait to say "go away" it is mine space. This also makes it easier for me to re-release the colored fish, which are well on their way to the spawning grounds to carry the genus on.
I only take shiny sea trout that are better in the meat home to eat

Knaek & Break 
               Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:46pm
Hi

Thanks Per for your feedback & technical advice highly appreciated.Smile

But make treble hooks are best for the hard baits & also light / heavy ?

Its my passion of creative art which is being nurture by you all in this fantastic group. Thank you Hug

Shane thank you for your encouragement.

I just finished fixing their bills & the trebles, having at my disposal and had their photo session.

Thanks & Regards, Raghubir

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 8:48am
Great work Raghubir, they look brilliant! ClapThumbs Up
Cheers, Graham
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:20pm
WOW they are great Raghubir. You were off to a great start with your first ones but these are leaps ahead - very very nice. 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:47am
Thanks Martin for your feedback, but still a long way to go.

Have a great Day !!

Regards, Raghubir
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 10:27am
Raghubir- Those little cranks are flawless, honestly look like the big brands such as bagley,. Easily could fool me into believing they were from some hotshot name specializing in wood cranks. Awesome job!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 3:45am
Hi Charles

Good morning, thanks for your encouraging feedback. Smile
I am trying to reach a level of professionalism.

Have a great day.

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:59pm
Good Morn Raghubir, not sure how far you are taking these, from the photos they look pristine and without blemishes? Pretty professional if you ask me, one can always find mistakes if you look hard enough...trust me

Personally keep looking for those minutia details to fix, think it will make you a better craftsman or crazyWink A high bar is worth reaching towards, no I haven't got there myself in avocational pursuits. Think I took the crazy route though?

You enjoy the evening as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 6:46am
Hi Charles

Good Evening!!
You are true, once they were finished they looked cosmetically and functionally good. But once i started looking at them at micro level, yes i could have done it better.

Frankly, this is the first time i have achieved the above results in spite of the fact there were challenges - thinning createx colors, clogging of airbrush & top coat. In the process i have learned a lot of things which will help me to overcome the above challenges in the remaining lures.

Its an art which requires hard work &  patience apart from technical skills and above all,  passion for this wonderful hobby of lure making. There are number of times one face disappointments,  but one should take them positively and move ahead.

I was working on a batch of 6 lures till the final stage, but in an attempt to complete all of them together in three days time, i spoiled 3 lures. Cry

Have a pleasant evening.

Thanks, Regards Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 5:28pm
Cosmetically and functionally good, yes, but are they up to YOUR snuff? 
From my experience this is few and far between, always something we miss or could have given more attention. The other half of this is when to give up and accept. Hard to swallow, at some point we must walk away and declare "Finished or good enough."

I do not hold all the answers nor can I give you the best advice. Many on here have paved their way through hardship, and years grinding it out. Look up, and reach out to them. For me, those individuals are whom I chase after, and desire criticism...even acknowledgement from. These blokes are not just knowledgeable, but humble and giving.

Nothing wrong with losing a few lures besides materials, time, and frustration. It sucks, and no it never gets better, but you are. In the weeds as we say in a kitchen, it hardens you.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
Great looking lures Raghubir. like others have said. they look fantastic. 
Can I ask, because i dont know and am interested, what species of fish you will be catching where you are with these lures?

cheers
Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 8:20pm
Hi Daniel

Thanks for your feedback.
The target species would be king, barracuda and Gt.

Thanks, Raghubir
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 9:16pm
yeah nice. 
Dan
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:52pm
They look great👍Nice colours Raghubir.
Life is fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:15am
Hi Dave

Good morning!!

Thanks for your feedback, trying to give a professional look to my baits both cosmetically & functionally.  But still there is room for improvement which will take some more time.

Thanks again.

Have a great Day !! Smile

Regards, Raghubir
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 8:01pm
PM sent RaghubirWink

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic