Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Aklures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scales Painting by AKLURE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scales Painting by AKLURE
    Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 3:58pm
 Hi people I would like to share with you how I paint scales on my lures. There are many ways of doing this, but I have been using this method for about 30 years. Whilst it takes some time to initially make your frame and lure cutouts it has to be only done once and then painting on scales is quick and easy.
You will need two pieces of three ply or similar(cut to fit in frame) with the shape of the lure that you wish to paint cut out of the centre of each piece. Pic 1. One piece the lure fits in snuggly (this is the bottom piece ), the other piece the cutout is slightly larger so that it fits over the lure being painted and has some clearance around the lure( this is the top piece ).

I have made two frames that are hinged together on one side, so that you have a top and a bottom. The bottom frame has a recessed area around the inside of the frame this holds your bottom lure cutout. The top frame piece has tulle fixed to the underside of it. Pic 2.

To paint your lure the bottom piece of ply is placed in the bottom frame on the recess, place your lure to be painted in the cutout, Pic 3
Then the top piece of the frame is closed down on the lure. You then take the top piece of ply and fit it over the lure, as you can see your lure pops up though the ply and has the tulle evenly covering the lure.Pic 4.

You now just spay paint your lure
with either an airbrush or a spray can of automotive paint. Pic 5.

Then you just separate the frame turn both pieces of ply over and spray the other side, Pic 6

Now the finished scale pattern. Pic 7

Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 4:21pm
Excellent,thankyou for posting up your little secrets.
The Journey is the Reward

edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 4:23pm
Gary, thank you for posting and sharing the above pics, good to see you hard at it.ClapClap

Cheers
Ollie
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 4:25pm
Gary
a very good step by  step instructional.

Nice clear photos and instructions

Simon
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 5:09pm
Thankyou fellas I hope it helps some of the new lure makers
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 6:17pm
Gary- never done it like this before, very clever and for me it's idiot proof, it's amazing how often the tulle slips when it is just draped and clamped on, better give it a go when I eventually get round to building something.

Thanks for the info, I know how long it takes to put all those pics together.
Pete-R
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 6:36pm
Rava
Thanks for the guidance really like the way  you have put the  tension on the cloth to get the scale pattern. Would it be necessary to change each time you do a fresh  lure or are you able to use the same piece a  few times.

Regards John
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 7:25pm
Hi John, no you do not change the tulle just keep using it, you will see eventually that it will start to fill with paint, it depends on the size of the netting, but I have used the same piece sometimes for months before changing it.
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 7:27pm
Gary,
I have been using those needlepoint hoops from Spotlight, terribly expensive...$2.50 for 100mm and 150mm diameters LOL
They allow me to switch fabric type quickly if needed, although they are a bugger to hold up against the lure whilst holding the airbrush in the other and scratch your head at the same time...Wacko

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 7:30pm
Pete it must be idiot proof for me to be able to do itSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 7:37pm

Yes Darby I know what you mean about trying to hold it all ,  I used to do that type but it does not take long to change mesh, but if you want you can just lay the mesh across the lure instead of connecting it to the frame, now you have made give away another secretWink

Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:05pm
Gary, done the drape method > leaves some gaps on the curves Unhappy, The hold tight with clothes pegs/bulldog clips method > too easy to smudge when removing Stern Smile . The hoops definately give more control, but hard to work around the fly vice used to hold the lure. I like your frame idea. Might knock one up Thumbs Up

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:18pm
Hi Gary, Good thread mate I like your method.. Very good...ClapClapClap...Pete
I'd rather be fishing with

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:37pm
Brad it is a lot easier than trying to hold everythingSmile

Thankyou Tooch for your nice commentsSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:46pm
That is a great idea Gary,

Thanks for sharing your scale method with us ClapClapClap I think I will be making one of those frames for myself very soon.

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 8:49pm
My pleasure Adrian let me know how you get on when it's made mateSmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2011 at 9:53pm
good stuff Gary ,thats a good way to make a perfect scale pattern,does this method work ok with onion bag
or doily mesh?
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2011 at 8:20am
Yes Chris it does ,I have used it with all sorts of mesh's over the years Smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 2:15am
Hello Gary,
 I have been making lures for many years and while looking at your detailed post I felt like a beginner.
Very innovative. I may try it soon.
Thanks,
Verlon
Baitman
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 3:10pm
Thankyou Verlon, that is a huge compliment from someone as talented as you are at making luresSmile
 Cheers Gary
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 4:54pm
for some reasom i cant see any pictures just big white squares with a tiny rainbow coloured square in the centre?? tried clicking on it but nothing?
any ideas

STOP panicking, all sorted!
Very helpful info, look forward to trying it!
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 6:26pm
Good greef you had me worried there for a moment cause I have very little idea about puters
Cheers GarySmile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 7:57pm
sorry gary, me no good at puters either.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:00pm

All I can say Jas is thank god for fish and lures for life would be very bland without emLOL

Cheers Gary
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

good stuff Gary ,thats a good way to make a perfect scale pattern,does this method work ok with onion bag
or doily mesh?

Puglee - Onion bags should work 'Puglee', I tried to use an 'old bag' a few years back, it was a period when I was into "V'" scale patterns - never could make a lure big enough.
Pete -R
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 8:59pm
 I was into old bags once - then I divorced her

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:36pm
Forgot to mention------------ I was in 'Bunnings' today ( 'Allens' for you Verlon), looking for a rotisserie for my BarB-Q and spied a little tent in about ROW 25 (last row- barby area), it's the stuff that the girls (and mum) cover the baked chicken to keep flies off. So I bought one for  I think about $9, very, VERY fine/soft 'fishscale' mesh - I'm thinking with Gary's system it will work a treat on the small lures I play with.
Pete-R
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 6:31am
Pete-R the real fine soft stuff works very well.
Cheers Gary
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
River Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote River Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 3:45pm
You only gave two of the four ingredients that make life interesting good fishing mates and alcohol when added to lures and fish make one hell of a tripCool
David
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:33am
Gary...thanks for posting this up. It really is a clever way of applying the scale pattern to your lures. I found this interesting even though I dont make my own lures. Well done!!!!
cheers steiny
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 4:25am
Thankyou Darren, it is a good system that is quick and gives a good result Smile
Fish hate me!!!

Cheers Gary
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:52am
For somebody that hopes to paint good lures one day , thank you for the post , painting scales that way sure makes it easy ,
CircleVbaits View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CircleVbait Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CircleVbaits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:40am
This is the post that inspired me into making my stencils with poster board. Thanks Gary, you are a genius.
The best to Y'all,
Verlon
Baitman
mdlures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
MD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdlures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:57am
excellent post Gary, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up

cheers
Mark
MDlures
traditional hand carved fishing lures
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 12:27pm
WinkOh now I know what you meant bloody well done garyLOL..........B.J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic