LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rattles in timber lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rattles in timber lures
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 2:49pm
I haven't put rattles into my lures for a few years, but I found the inspiration today, so I took some photos.

My method is pretty simple.  I use the head of fibro nails, some drink can aluminium and a small ball bearing (I buy a bicycle wheel bearing race).

Step 1: Identify the location to drill the hole for the rattle, so that it doesn't interfere with the eyelets.

Step 2: Choose the right size drill for the nail heads and wrap masking tape around the drill bit, at the correct depth.  Drill hole to the correct depth.

Step 3: Cut head off fibro nail and hit to flatten.  Put nail head in hole and punch it to the bottom of the hole.

Step 4:  Make aluminium sleeve, for the ball bearing to roll in.  Insert into hole and fit it tightly.

Step 5: Put ball bearing in the chamber. Fit nail head securely on top of aluminium sleeve.  Bog the hole.

You can buy rattle chambers and some people use .22 cartridges, but this method is cheap, easy and works well.  The only downside is if you drill the rear eyelet too far and the rattle chamber fills up with araldite.  I use bigger clout heads and bigger ball bearings in my larger lures.

Cheers

Travers

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 3:29pm
Hi Travers,

Thanks for sharing that mate. I have been thinking about trying to put a rattle in a lure and your method looks very effective.
What do you reckon would be the main reason for using a rattling lure? Does it wake up shut down fish or annoy them enough to entice them into striking or maybe it attracts them from a distace? Not quite sure.

Regards
Adrian
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 4:01pm
Adrian

To be quite honest, I'm not a huge fan of rattles in lures.  I prefer to let the action of the lure do the talking.  There are certainly circumstances where rattles are useful in getting inactive fish active.

I get orders for lures with rattles, from time to time, so I oblige.  The ball bearing bashing on the nail heads puts out a fair bit of noise.

Travers
LaPala View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaPala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 7:48pm
Great method there Travers, there goes Rapala's Clackin' Rap's secret.

Here's a pic of it disected, basically what exactly you are doing Wink
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 8:50pm
Great post Travers.

I reckon a timber lure on its own puts out a fair bit of noise from the hooks and split rings.

Given that fish rely on sensing pressure changes they may even pick up on the vibration of the lure itself.

Given the opportunity I would go for a rattling lure trolling for barra.

4angler View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 2:25pm
I use cheap plastic dolls eyes , $2 for 100 in various sizes. Ones with black beads that roll around.
They have a subtle click click sort of noise.
Handy thing with them is they are presealled , so no worries overgluing near em.

I have been making pretty small lures lately , and the dolls eyes are very light and can even add bouyancy if lure ends up a bit on heavy side.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by 4angler 4angler wrote:

I use cheap plastic dolls eyes , $2 for 100 in various sizes. Ones with black beads that roll around.
They have a subtle click click sort of noise.
Handy thing with them is they are presealled , so no worries overgluing near em.

I have been making pretty small lures lately , and the dolls eyes are very light and can even add bouyancy if lure ends up a bit on heavy side.
these are pretty good like you say 4angler,they have a nice subtle rattle that interestest shy fish without spooking them like the heavier rattlers do.one word of advice though,try and countersink the eyes a little
as the fish tend to smash the dolls eyes off when they hit.(yes this is from personal experience,ive got a few blind lures!LOL)
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 9:03am
Photo of the lures after carving and sanding.

Travers
4angler View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4angler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 4:37pm

I dont use the dolls eyes as eyes much , but embedded them in lure as a rattle

darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:10pm
Hi Martin.
I Use 22 cal magnum cases for a rattle chamber on some of my lures ,I just drill a 6.5 mm hole almost through lure body trim casing for length add steel ball bearing crimp open end of casing and glue casing into lure body with primer end to outside of lure you can hide this under paint or leave it exposed for a great effect.
Regards Darcy.

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2010 at 6:46pm
The exposed casing certainly does add a nice effect to the finished product Darcy Thumbs Up

Here's one of Darcy's creations using the exposed bullet casing

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:08pm
I finally managed to finish the rattling lures last weekend, so thought I'd post a picture of some of the Macleay Minnows.  The rattling Digger and Little Digger are painted the same colour as the 2 Macleay Minnows at the bottom of the photo - black with 3 yellow/red rings and red bib.  They will appear on a certain auction site, shortly.

Travers

Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 7:19pm
Nice Travers, very NICE Approve

Adrian
Toga Fever
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 8:30pm
Gee Travers they are nice little lures you ahve there.
great colours.
Pete-R
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 9:18pm
good choice of colors Travers some proven fish catching colors there,the black ones with the orange and red stripes are a nice innovation
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2010 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Tony Tony wrote:

The exposed casing certainly does add a nice effect to the finished product Darcy Thumbs Up

Here's one of Darcy's creations using the exposed bullet casing

sound coming from a bullet case is really different and i recon would be much better as a
fish attractor than the normal steel ball bearing on plastic,Oog showed me one the other week,could'nt get
over how good the rattle sounded.nice Darcy!
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:01am
Hi Travers, very nice lures mate..ClapClapClap.. I like them a lot
your paint jobs are Magic....SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:12pm
Mate those lures are just beautiful, you a great job and great info for us all as well thanks.ClapClapClap
 Gaz
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 6:28pm
And now that I've put the hooks on the rattling Digger, Little Digger and Macleay Minnow, here's a photo of the 'happy family' - big bear, mumma bear and baby bear? Wink

Travers

Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2010 at 7:46pm
Travers,

that is outstanding colour pattern on those lures !

Cheers Tony 
RAVA View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member
AkLures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAVA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 8:19am
Mate they are just perfectClapClapClapClap
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 7:03pm
Wow - they look fantastic Travers 59
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 8:03pm
Thanks for sharing Travers, big help
Cheers
Justin
love those little bumble bee's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic