LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paw Paw and more

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paw Paw and more
    Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 9:52pm
Just a couple others, the one with the metal bib has Paw Paw on the bib. Any ideas
TasV View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:12pm
Looks like a Baltic Minnow

This type looks like a Devon Spinner

Never heard of Paw Paws
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:55pm
Hi dave, Definitley Devons mate and tas is right on with the baltic minnow..ClapClapClap
I don't know about the paw Paw never seen one before...ConfusedConfused..
         Regards Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:28pm
Paw Paw is a US company, been making lures since 1908 as Moonlight Bait Company, name changed to Paw paw in the 1920's. Bought by Shakespeare in 1970.

that lure looks to be a series 1000 Piky Getum circa 1960's

Darbs
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 6:08am
Onya Darbs,good info
The Journey is the Reward

Davo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 7:58am
Thanks guys, I will wait for the Paw Paw to ripen
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 9:00pm

two of those devons look to be made of alloy,i dont think ive ever seen that before

Davo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 9:29pm
That is right, two are made of metal
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 9:47pm
Chris, Got a few Metal Devons as well, most came from ol' Blighty, but a few are homemade aussies by the look.

darbs
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 10:43pm
very nice Darb,are some of those made from bullet shells?,that'd be typical of Aussie ingenuity.
I have some really old devons somewhere i'll put up some pics,
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Davo Davo wrote:

That is right, two are made of metal
are they alloy Davo?,i have seen them made of brass before but never an alloy 
Davo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 8:29pm
Look like alloy and seem light enough to be alloy.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:42pm
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHA-- The 'Baltic Minnows' I used to use never had a long shank double/treble  hook through the middle, just a hole where you threaded line through and tied a treble, similar to a Tassie devil rig. Defiantly made by the same guy though, then again it could be an old model.
I also thought Baltic minnows had a deeper bodies - there used to be something called a 'Baltic Brick', , but my memory is failing, maybe just another name for the same lure.
The guy in Jindabyne who made them also made a slimmer one , similar to the one pictured, not sure of the name, maybe Tiger Minnow -- Just a thought!!!!
I'm confused now.

By the way, I bought some new ones (Baltic minnows) about a month back, with the conviction that the Trout have a short memory and they should still chase these!!!Well see.

Pete
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:52pm
Pete, quite correct, Bernie Shzot's  Baltic series were, the Flash and Minnow which were the through line models, the Bobber which had the fixed double and the Gardie.

Darbs

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 11:31am
Efgeeco lures made in Norway, made a alloy spinner called PARAVAN,
usually PARAVAN Made in Norway was inscribed on both propellers.

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:39pm
heres those old Devons i was talking about earlier,theyre very old i dont know who made them ,they are covered in some sort of real fishskin (not eels though)
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:54pm
Guys, here is a couple of examples of the English Phantom Minnow,

the Large one is a product of William Brown, Fishing Tackle Maker in Aberdeen Scotland. William Brown is credited with inventing the Phantom Minnow in the mid-1800's. The first recorded capture of a fish on a ‘lure’ in Queensland was a Barramundi (then called a “palmer”) in the Pioneer River at Mackay in 1888, The lure was a Phantom or Ghost Minnow. In the late 1890's, the bait incorporated Philip Geen's Patent Swivel (as on this model)to keep the line from twisting. They were made up until the early 1900's.

These lures were also used by Tasmanian anglers for trout fishing since the late 1800’s.Originally made using painted Eel or Sole skin and later silk, by 1906 Eastways, a tackle dealer in Sydney listed several varieties, all made with rubber coated fabric over a wooden core. The small one is an example of a British maker (unknown) but made in the mid 1900's.

Several enterprising Aussies also made similar lures using various materials.

Darbs
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 8:41am
ive got a phantom minnow like your 5'' one in the picture Darb,it does'nt have the ''wb'' markings on the blades like most of them.do you know if they made any without the markings ,or is it made by someone else?.
nice lures by the way mate ,ive never seen an eelskin one before.thats interesting about the Barra being
caught on one,i recon a barra would make a mess of a phantom minnow
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:34pm
Puglee- I remember seeing some lures like your skin covered models on display at 'The Power house Museum ' (Sydney) about 20 years back, from memory I think they were made in early1800's. ????????????????????
Pete
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 8:08pm
holy dooly! i new they were old but.......ShockedLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic