LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New toys-for-boys discoveries -some not so new

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New toys-for-boys discoveries -some not so new
    Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:26am
As anyone who've read my posts have noticed that finding new soft plastic shapes and actions are one of my passions. Some are new, many built on modifications of old designs such as these:

When I say built on previous designs, I include those that did well in previous years that I know will always do well where and when fished in the waters I fish.
Here are some discoveries from last year that caught different species:
  • clear plastic lures catch fish (1,4,5)
  • stub tail grubs do very well
  • curl tail and stub tail grubs do well with Beetle Spins attached
New ideas not tested yet include:
  • side prongs (2,3)
  • pastel or light tints of color (4)
  • an old worm design over 40 years old called the Flip Tail Worm (7)
It has been said by many on lurelovers that confidence is the first priority for using any lure. Lure confidence can be based on many factors the first being: does a lure catch fish consistently ? Another being the instinctual feeling one has that a lure will catch fish even before it is cast for the first time after fish are located

Variables we know matter:
  • lure size
  • lure texture
  • lure action
  • overall visual effect
  • angler-applied action and speed
Lure #7 is a miniature copy of a plastic worm decades old that I know will most definitely catch fish based on the number of base caught using the 7" size. It's unique action is produced by a flat body surface on one side, ribbed texture and thin paddle tail. If I hadn't seen a video of this lure on YouTube, I wouldn't have known that a mold existed I could buy. 

The color is a favorite of mine: root beer with lime green or blue metal flake. Color is like buying clothes you feel comfortable wearing in certain colors, except that in this case, any color that enhance a lure's action and contrast at any visual angle is desired.

Okay, now that I know clear plastics caught fish last year (I've posted photos on lurelovers), what about pastels or light color tints? 
Any specific lure color acceptable to fish is okay by me. The first time I caught bass over 20 years ago on clear plastic Zara Spooks and diving crankbaits, I knew the absence of color pigment would continue to do fine in those lures. But I didn't make the connection until last year for soft plastics.

Even clear hard or soft plastic lures demonstrate color via a background color because of light speed being warped inside a lure and light source (compare the above photo to this one). 
Does it really matter? Probably not as long as all other lure factors are taken into account. But fun to test nonetheless as well as answering some theoretical questions I might have.

Lurecraft is not just copying some design and color we read about or see - at least not for me. As anyone who've read my posts, lure design never takes into consideration what a fish thinks a lure is (impossible to say the least), but simply : does it catch fish of different species consistently in any water I fish? My confidence in a lure is instantaneous after the first fish clobbers it and then fish after fish after fish after that.

Man, discovering different lure factor combinations is addictive and a thrill after fish are caught, adding to the ever growing variety and number of lures fish attack with gusto! 
Without an open mind leading to creative, usually unpredictable mental innovations, none of the above could happen - a true gift of insight allowed me and many of you.

hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:38pm
Good stuff mate, keep  up the good work, will always catch fish, used to love the old atomic fat grubs in brown with a chartreuse tail, great lures !!!
Cheers Steve R  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:15pm
Thanks Steve. 
What soft plastic lures do you make or modify and in what sizes?
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:47am
Only make  timber lures mate, but use plastics mainly paddletails along with timbers vibes blades etc etc 😁😁 these days !!, got a mate that makes soft plastics and i greatly appreciate his talents !!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:44am
Nice thing about soft plastics are the infinite number of designs anyone can come with that can fish. My big thing is to comb through the many bags of plastics I've accumulated over 40 years and fine part of two that go together to make an original design. Been working for the last 4 years and increased my catch rate fantastic in the shallow lakes and ponds I fish.
All you need is a blade and a candle to join the parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic