LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Deception Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Knee-deep in Needeep's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knee-deep in Needeep's
    Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 10:16am
Earlier this year at the Beenleigh Expo Paul commissioned Blair Chilton(BC) to carve a Frog lure for him with the idea that it could later be scaled to any size by Paul and Cheryl to suit specific needs eg Bass, Barra, Cod.

The first two "BC Needeep" batches released were both Bass sized with a 55mm Popper debuting in July and then closely followed by 50mm Wake Baits and Fizzers in August.

Then this week Paul released the third batch which consisted of ten limited edition sets of "BC Needeep 80's". Each set was signed, dated and numbered and presented in Paul's ever popular Australiana style. The timbers used were Silky Oak, White Beech, Coastal Cypress, NSW Scented Rosewood, Mackay Cedar and Coachwood. Collectors had the choice of two versions, five sets were done as Double-bladed Fizzers while the other five sets were Wake Baits.

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 11:47am
Great photos Col, they look brilliant!
My set of Fizzers were posted yesterday, now I'm excited!Thumbs Up
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 10:55am
Very nice, love the eyes.
"Always Merry and Bright"
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 2:58pm
Earlier this month Paul released a few more "BC Needeep" 80's into the pond. This time it was a small batch(35?) of Custom Shop Fizzers and Wake baits made from a selection of beautifully marked Australian timbers. I was particularly taken by the ones that were finished with a semi-nude Bell Frog pattern and eagerly grabbed a few of these one-off specials for my collection.
Regards,
Col

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:39pm
Can see why you grabbed those. Damn thy are awesome ClapClap
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:42pm
Recently Paul did some tweaking to his Frog design and came up with a new Bass-sized version which he called the "Litoria 60". Rumour has it that there may be plans for a new Cod-sized one as well. Here's a small sample of the twenty or so colour variations that were on offer.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 1:59pm
WAY too nice a lure too be thrown into the scrubbery where we fish ConfusedConfusedConfusedShockedShocked
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2023 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

WAY too nice a lure too be thrown into the scrubbery where we fish ConfusedConfusedConfusedShockedShocked
     a lure is a lure is a lure bob. . . .mick 
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 11:01am
I noticed the one stated as Mackay Cedar, thinking this maybe Macleay Cedar after the area west of Kempsey the headwaters of the Macleay R., correct me if I'm mistaken. Sourced some of this timber from Mick at the Woodshop in Ulmarra, via Grafton several years ago.
Deadweight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadweight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2023 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Seaweed Seaweed wrote:

I noticed the one stated as Mackay Cedar, thinking this maybe Macleay Cedar after the area west of Kempsey the headwaters of the Macleay R., correct me if I'm mistaken. Sourced some of this timber from Mick at the Woodshop in Ulmarra, via Grafton several years ago.

I think that you'll find Mackay Cedar is Paraserianthes toona, only found between Mackay and Cooktown. The was plenty of the 'normal' Australian Red Cedar (Toona ciliata) cut from the Macleay Valley (and every other river,  creek and gully along the east coast). I've found that Red Cedar often takes on the name of the area it was cut from - I've recently picked up pieces of 'Queensland Red Cedar, 'Currumbin Red Cedar' and 'Dorrigo Red Cedar' from various places. All are Toona ciliata.

If the timber you sourced from Ulmarra was different to the Australian Red Cedar, it may have been White Cedar (Melia azedarach)? I've found White Cedar to be fairly uncommon and Mackay Cedar very uncommon in terms of general availability. 
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 1:26pm
I have some Mackay Cedar and have only used it once. As soon as the sawdust hit my exposed skin, I broke out in a painful burning rash and my eyes were similarly affected. I haven't tried using it again. I have heard that this is common with this timber... It has a great grain though...
Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 4:51pm
I'll second what Fysshe said,Martin gave me some Mackay cedar that came from an  old luremaker who was giving luremaking away due to ill health.We both came to the conclussion eventually it was probably from the Mackay cedar as he later died from respiratory complications.Ive never used it as a result.Its a shame as it is very nice timber.You may be right about it being rare Deadweight,ive been making lures since the 90's and i'd never heard of it until Marty gave it to me a few years ago
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 5:02pm
love the litorias these look sensational,they would get eaten quicksmart in the rivers around hereClap
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2023 at 6:18pm
Yes Mackay cedar causes severe respiratory problems and cancer. The bloke who died from it refused to wear appropriate respiratory gear but he was making furniture from it for years. There is still a few tonnes of cut pieces in the shed. His son in law has made some furniture from it but uses full respiratory equipment.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 8:44am
A few additional colour variations to share including some of the spectacular chromed beauties, as well as the "Stealth".

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 12:51pm
Great information Deadweight, so Mackay Cedar is correct and very dangerous by the sounds. The piece of Macleay R. Cedar I sourced was very pale in relation to normal cedars, beautiful grain though and I made several nude Seaweed Lures from it. I always wore face masks when carving and outdoors only, never had any health problems from any cedar I used fortunately.
Regards, Seaweed.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 10:46am
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 8:52am
Mackay Cedar is pretty common up here in NQ, it is often called Mackay Sneezewood or Mackay Itchwood for reasons mentioned above. Nice grain etc but terrible consequences if proper preventative measures are not taken, I tried using it, once.
Cheers,

Gavin
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 4:38pm
This time a few more colourful versions of the larger 80mm "Litorias" to supplement the nudes already shown.

colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2023 at 4:18pm
The latest variation of Paul's frog lures which was released at last weekend's 2023 Lure Expo.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic