LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Tassie Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Tassie Lures
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 7:58am
Ricki came across these interesting Tassie Lures from the North West Coast, not sure of their time line.
He will add some comment when he see the post.

Interesting material used.

Regards John

Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:34am
"Hi Ricky, Re the Cobra lures you were asking who made them? They were made by an old couple by the name of Cliff & Glad who lived in Devonport Tas, they both past away a few years ago, Cliff made the body & Glad painted the patterns by hand, nice old couple who became good mates of mine. Hope this helps."

"Ricki, The old couple who made the Glow Grub was
Cliff & Glad Garwood, they also made the Grey feather that you show in the pic, a lot of fishermen from the N/West coast used the Grey feather for sea run trout on the West coast of Tas,"

The above information was given to me by the owner of Sting Lures here in Lauceston Tasmania after I posted a couple of pics on Facebook

But I hope this can help with a few unown lures for people I will try and get a time line for them but I would estimate them being atleast 20 years by the other lures in the box that were 25 + years old

But as we know we should not guess in collecting lures

A big Thanks to John for posting the pics for me here

Fish Choking Lures :)
Tyenna Dave View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tas Highland Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyenna Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:34am
There is still a few local guys belting out the good ol Cobra styled lures ,it seems that they are the most widely hand made lure in Tas Thumbs Up
The white & gold in the second pic look very nice ,i like the rustic look on them to ,not to perfect !
Cheers for sharing guys ,
Dave ...
Trout extractor !
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 1:01pm
Were these sold as "Savage Lures"?

I have one of those woodgrub models, but have no idea where I got it. I purchased in a Hobart tackleshop some "Savage Lures", one of which I still have.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by JKR JKR wrote:

Were these sold as "Savage Lures"?

I have one of those woodgrub models, but have no idea where I got it. I purchased in a Hobart tackleshop some "Savage Lures", one of which I still have.

I'm not sure mate that's all I know but all I can do is try and ask , thanks for a lead on the name
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 5:05pm
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 5:12pm
That green and gold winged lure above was definitely sold as a "Savage Lure" and is the only one I have left. Seems the woodgrub has been left hanging on a submerged tree somewhere. No loss, never caught a fish on it. The green/gold however, in one 3 week stretch, caught a truck load of Eucumbene Brown trout. Never fired another shot after that, but I probably haven't given it much of a chance.
The red ends are similar to the lure pics you've posted. All the red paint is added to the exterior.

Another similarity with the lures above is the inconsistent length and wing shape. The other lure I bought with this one was a different length and a different weight. Your pic captures this also.

If I had to guess I'd say they were different lure makers, but that's based on a "vibe" and nothing scientific.

Cheers...JKR

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:58pm
Quite a broad width evident.
A little unusual be interested to know how far across.

Thanks
Will check it to my widest .
Regards John
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 6:18pm
28mm at its widest
55mm long

The ones you've pictured appear to be more rounded at the shoulders, and the shoulders appear to be further forward. That's why I'd be saying they're different lure makers.

Cheers, John (also)
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 7:07pm
I tend to agree, will track some of mine down tomorrow, there have been a large number of back yarders making those lures in Tassie for many, many, years.

regards John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic