Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures > FM Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I Should know it - NQ chin minnow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Should know it - NQ chin minnow
    Posted: 13 May 2014 at 10:54pm
I got this off evilbay the other week, I felt it was something desirable. but for the life og=f me I can't nailit down, I feel I should know it, the paint is similar to a Killalure, the shape is a bit Russell Jenkins, the belly looks like LTL......but the chin minnow shape is not something I equate with any of those.

130mm overall eye to eye, 18mm widest, hook/tow eyes are .8mm S/S twisted. Looks to be cedar and there is a light grey primer/undercoat under the paint. Clear gloss over the excellent scale and shading work. Tiger stripes look to be sprayed through a stencil/mask. belly behing the dip is FLAT but chin has a definite sharp chamfer. Steel bib and very neat black on white eyes.

any ideas???

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:11am
Just got all info, my lure and Brads, made in Jabiru, sold mainly at Border store, Cahills Crossing, East Alligator, info from Trailerboat Fisherman, May 86, see crappy black and white pic's below.

Will now do a second post
Gristy
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:14pm
you got this of my mate.....we had no idea either......Gary

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:22pm
Hmmm, don't know where you get all those other makers from ?? LOL.

Try an FM lure from NT
Gristy
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 4:39pm
Thats what i thought Carl as well Big smile, cheers pearcey
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2014 at 5:52pm
Ok I'll take the advice of 2 old lure makers...another maker acquired Thumbs Up
Thanks guys

Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:29pm
G'day all

Darby there are similarities to the FM lure as Carl thought, but all the ones I ever saw were a lot thicker profile accross the top profile & also thicker in the arse to the extent they were a bit squat shaped for their size. I only ever saw them use poplar pine & the timber looks a bit dark unless you can get a better idea when in your hands. I not even close to knowing the amount of info you all know about lures, but unless they made some other blanks I think this one may belong to another maker, either way good luck on the pursuit, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 5:54pm
Balls, I have exact same one as Brads (diff colour), got it 3-4 yrs ago, it was ID'd at the time by Seaweed as an FM, I also have the other profile, also ID'd by Seaweed, always presumed there were two models ??
happy to be wrong, means I have another maker Smile.

As an after thought, check out the stencil profile shapes on both types ??

Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:39pm
Found my pic, the info I have (from Seaweed) is made for 1yr only around 85-86, note the tail is angle cut like the other fatter profile body, Seaweed has a pic of one in packet, I could not find the post.

Gristy
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:44pm
That is an unique shape that is for sure!
cheers steiny
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:47pm
I put the 2 side by side in pics, very similar, only a few minor differences, but that's a handmade lure trait.

Thanks for the input guys.

Brad

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:16am
Guys, think I was mistaken Ouch, reckon Wayne (Balls) is correct. Looking at Brad's and Carls', there are differences to the FM with card. Think you both have a lure by a different maker, all we need to do is identify him, love a mystery LOL.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 12:48pm
G'day all

The guys from FM lures had purchased a rough copy lathe from the owner of YEES hobbies in Darwin & were making their lures off his pattern & I was lucky enough to catch up with them at the time, thats why I am pretty confident they are two different makers,as they didn't do any hand cutting/carving to my knowledge & they didn't stick at it for long to make other templates before another person bought the copy lathe & modified it into a pretty flash looking unit before I lost track of the new owner, I don't think the new ownwer made any lures for sale.

The FM lures were as pictured with the card Carl has & the only reel variation I remember them doing was off the same pattern & just cut shorter in the tail. Either way you still have a couple of lures in your collection for personal satisfaction, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 1:31pm
I can remember some lures on Ebay recently that shared a few similarities? Action Lures, anybody got any to compare?? Confused
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:03pm
No Ian, not Action lures.
Both Brads and mine are FM lures, made in Jabiru NT.
Seaweeds is a FM made in Darwin, If they are not one and the same we may have two makers with same lure name ?? am doing more sleuthing, when I get all info I will post pic's etc.
Gristy
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:07am
The only one I ever had, purchased from general store that used to sell at the East Alligator R. near the boat ramp, would have been late 80's. Store no longer exists, told makers were working for Ranger at the time living in Jabiru N.T., even though card states Darwin. My fishing mate had several, he liked them, but he moved back to Townsville, otherwise I'd grab his and post pics.
Seaweed.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Answer Answer
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:11am
Just got all info, my lure and Brads, made in Jabiru, sold mainly at Border store, Cahills Crossing, East Alligator, info from Trailerboat Fisherman, May 86, see crappy black and white pic's below.

Will now do a second post
Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:19am
Your lure Seaweed, made by Bob Brewer from Howard Springs NT, sold under the name of FM Lures, must have moved to Darwin at some stage, info from his sister.

Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 11:26am
As an after thought Seaweed, maybe your mate thought they were one and the same and got the Jabiru lure and Darwin lure/card mixed up because they were both called FM lures ?? LOL Confused.

Tony (the boss) maybe a good idea if you move this lot to the FM, NT section so all this info does not get buried in the unknowns.
Gristy
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 12:15pm
Done Thumbs Up

Looks like that was a tricky one! Big smile
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2016 at 1:27pm
See Toby's post, he's just found five in Humpty Doo only 8cm. long, compared with my 13cm. model, have to be smaller brothers, everything about them the same.
Seaweed.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2021 at 7:47pm
Great looking lures👍
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic