LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having another go after 30 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having another go after 30 years
    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 2:12pm
I've taken up woodworking as a hobby recently and have decided it's time to have a shot at making some lures. This is my second attempt after making some as a kid in the late 80's. I managed to catch a bass on one of them, even though it had the swimming action of a rock.

I'm using pine for the first 2 as a test before using more suitable timber for the next ones. My skill level is poor but I am enjoying it. As long as I still have 10 fingers at the end I'll be happy Hug.

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 3:35pm
Good on you Shane, look forward to more pics Thumbs Up
Cheers, Graham
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 6:13pm
Good on you Shane, will be good to see you progress. 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 10:42pm
That is looking great, so keep up Thumbs Up
I started in 2011 and have not finished experimenting at all + I actually still have all 10 fingers. So if that is the norm, you have some time yet Big smile
Looking forward to see your progress here

Knaek & Break
Per

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2020 at 1:39am
Have fun mate. 
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:11pm
get into it.
thats a good shape good bib angle..its all happening.
post your progress, and get out there and fish them.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:17am
I'm going to use welding mask plastic 1.3mm for the bibs. The bib material is a bit wider than the jigsaw blade so had to sand it by hand. See how that goes. I'll use 0.9 wire for the tow points.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 1:48pm
Enjoy it mate...good luck
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 6:40pm
This process has given me a lot more admiration for true lure makers and of the work that's involved in making them. It certainly isn't easy.
The shaping of the lures has been relatively easy to my surprise. 
I thought I could cut the perspex bibs with the jigsaw but it shattered. I might have to try the coping saw. 

There are 3 reasons I didn't use aluminum:
1) I have no aluminium.
2) I would prefer to use clear plastic.
3) I don't have any aluminium.

The eyelets are ready but I think I drilled the holes too big. Time will tell......
Thank you everyone for your replies.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 1:30pm
Try some wiss snipes to cut the lexan
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by steiny steiny wrote:

Try some wiss snipes to cut the lexan

Hi Darren, What material do you use for Bibs and how do you source it?
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 11:09pm
I use 1.5mm lexan for all my lures, but I do have some 1mm also. I acquired some off cuts from Dean Huber (Huber Joinery) in the early days. You could probably source some from business' that work with different Plastics or places that do laser cutting.
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:47pm
After writing in a previous post about having difficulty making bibs, both Richard (Rally44) and Darren (Steiny) contacted me offering to send me bibs. How nice is that? I can't thank them enough.

Unfortunately the metal bib moved in its slot while the glue was drying. It won't be progressing past this point. The plastic bibbed one is fairly straight. Next step is to sand the glue marks off and then painting and laquering. 

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 2:38pm
yep theres some good guys willing to help on hereThumbs Up

the lures look good, might be worth a test swim first in case you need to adjust anything.
before you go to all the trouble of painting and possibly finding the towpoint needs to be lowered etc.
Just a thought.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 10:04pm
Usually if you heat the bib up enough, the glue weakens enough to pull the bib out. This is what Ls Barlow does with all of his that don't swim and he wants to re-bib them.

They both have great looking shapes to them. Watching this thread with interest.

Cheers to Richard and Darren - good on you mates.

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:51am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Usually if you heat the bib up enough, the glue weakens enough to pull the bib out. This is what Ls Barlow does with all of his that don't swim and he wants to re-bib them.

They both have great looking shapes to them. Watching this thread with interest.

Cheers to Richard and Darren - good on you mates.

I just heated the bib with a lighter and it came out quite easily. That's awesome! Thanks mate!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 11:32am
Finally complete. All I have to do now is give them a swim; hopefully on the weekend. 
After my dismal effort painting the semi-nude I decided to let my daughter paint the other one.
I'm really happy after replacing the metal bib, it's turned out really straight. I think it has the best chance of swimming straight.

HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 1:51pm
Well done Shane Clap
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 6:08pm
Great work and I love your daughter’s colours.

Now to get a fish on them 
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 1:16pm
I took the lures for a test swim on the weekend. The red/purple one swam well at a dead slow retrieve. It didn't like speed at all. The water was very murky making it impossible to see. The semi-nude had a lean to it even when it was floating still. It just veered off when I started winding. I might try adjusting the tow point. 
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:53am
I think Nicho was on to it...possibly lower the tow point closer to the bib...
And maybe heavier hooks and split rings to hold it down 
whipit
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 12:26pm
Girl a couple of shallow holes and put in lead sinkers In the belly to help straighten it up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 11:34am
Onto my next attempt of lure making. A bloke at work gave me this timber. Does anyone recognise what sort it is? It's certainly hard - it bent my Jigsaw blade trying to cut it.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 12:07pm
Looks like merbau (spelling?) - the timber used for decking. Does it sink?
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 11:17am
I made the bodies 30 years ago and decided to finish them with bibs and hooks.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 12:20pm
very nice,i love the shape of the top oneThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 7:06pm
Gave them both a swim this afternoon in the farm dam and to my astonishment they both swam really really well. Better than I had hoped for. The bigger one likes a slow retrieve while the smaller one works at any speed. It's given me inspiration to make more any try to catch a fish on them. Tongue
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 9:20pm
A couple off really nice Lures you have made, even it took some time to finish ClapClap
Great thy work well, and looking forward to see the first Fish caught Smile

Knaek & Break
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2022 at 9:51pm
Look pretty good to me. What a great feeling when you throw an unknown in and it swims great straight up, normally takes a heap of bending eyelets up and down and left and right and still probably 30% go in the fail bucket for me. Good work. 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2022 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Rivoli Rivoli wrote:

Look pretty good to me. What a great feeling when you throw an unknown in and it swims great straight up, normally takes a heap of bending eyelets up and down and left and right and still probably 30% go in the fail bucket for me. Good work. 

That's right mate. I was expecting to have to bend eyelets etc like you say.
Pure luck rather than skill that I didn't have to. Shocked
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 1:00pm
Nice work Chep. 

That top one has a great shape - maybe a smaller bib to make it swim at faster speeds?

The bottom one has a great all round shape and as it swims at all speeds then it would be great on the reefs up here as well. I had a MFL -Moore Fish Lure with almost the same shape and it smashed the reefies but I would use both chasing barra in Lakefield National Park.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Chep Buxley Chep Buxley wrote:

Onto my next attempt of lure making. A bloke at work gave me this timber. Does anyone recognise what sort it is? It's certainly hard - it bent my Jigsaw blade trying to cut it.

It's finished now, time to give it a swim.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 7:09pm
It swims! 

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 7:01am
LOLLOLLOLClapClapClap
Good job Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
             Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2022 at 8:28pm
Well done, now too make some more 
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic