LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 Part urethane lures - the easy way

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Part urethane lures - the easy way
    Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 1:13pm
Thought I might start a thread on the way I've been making my little 60mm minnows using 2 part polyurethane bodies and 2 part RTV silicon molds.

First, start with:

Assemble mold halve with wire and bib in place on one side

Assemble mold halves together and add clamps

Measure part A and B as per instructions (usually 50:50 with most PU's - except foaming types)
Add Microballoons or other additives

Mix well

Add pigment if required and mix well again

Pour into spru hole and check for leaks

Wait required time and open mold. Add split rings and hooks and enjoy! This sequence takes me about 5min from go to pouring (add another 2 or 3 for wire insert and cutting bib), and another 20min to demould so it's very quick. RTV silicon doesn't require any release agent for PU's so no wasting time waiting for it to dry Tongue

With a bit of creativity, multi colored lures are possible

Of course, from here you can easily add eyes, paint patterns or scales etc. I'm also experimenting with adding glitter as well as a clear resin. This stuff (and I think most/all non foaming 2 part PU's) are heavier than water, so I'm trialling inserting polystyrene balls/balsa/capsules to create various weights for floating, suspending and sinking types. Wrattles can be glued to the wire insert too before pouring. The sinking ones have a nice flutter as they sink, and cast like a bullet - much further than commercial plastic/balsa types like Rapala etc.

There are various hardnesses of PU available, from quite soft up to bowling ball type strength/hardness. This is just el cheapo so I'm relying on the through wire for strength as I think a twisted wire or bib with line attachment will just pull out, though I'm sure there are better PU's that would allow either/both. A quick dab of vaseline will enable the bib to be pulled out so other shapes can be tried if made from the same material.

I've been using the PU to coat wooden plugs to give it a waterproof coating in about 30min so I can test swim it assembled with bib and hooks before giving it a nice finish with primer filler and a final paint job sanded down to 1000# wet and dry for the mold.

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 2:04pm
good little article you posted up here Steve,very helpful indeedThumbs Up
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 3:23pm
Wow!! Thats just amazing! Had no idea it was so simple!
Very clear and instructive post SteveSmile
Anthony.
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:10pm
  How do we make the mold ? 
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 5:38pm
It's not that much more difficult.

I will take some photos next time I do one (hopefully soonish) but if you're interested in advance, there is a good article from Larry Dahlberg for a 2 part mold here (I just added some wire guides to help keep the wire insert in the right place) - http://www.makelure.com/HowTos/Swim%20Whiz%202%20Piece.pdf and a great video for doing a 1 part mold from him here - http://www.youtube.com/embed/FOpUy4GJJ8U

I picked up the PU from my local pattern maker for ~$40/L - I bought 1/2L for $20 and he threw in a cup or two of Aluminium powder for free (normally $15/kg). That's about the same price as through Barnes and other modelling shops, though they do have more choices and are probably better suited to doing lures, I just like having this on hand so I don't have to pay heaps for postage or wait ages to get to the big smoke. The silicon is Ultrasil from Barnes and cost me $50/kg from memory. These little minnows take about 6mL of resin plus a teaspoon or so of microballons and the mold is about 50 - 60mL of silicon so they certainly are cheap!

Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 6:53pm
god this making lures just keeps going, where does it end!
good post, good to see a basic insite of how to do this.
cheers Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 7:38pm
ultrasil is great stuff i use it all the time ,have you tried barnes pinky sil Steve?,ive been thinking of trying it ,
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

ultrasil is great stuff i use it all the time ,have you tried barnes pinky sil Steve?,ive been thinking of trying it ,

Nah, I got the Ultrasil because it was cheaper LOL

I've seen other guys using it for this, so know it works fine too.

At some stage I will do the reverse, i.e. PU 2 piece mold and RTV silicon "hardbody" lure, hopefully it will have the same action, but feel a bit softer on missed fish so I/fishing buddy can get another shot. I've done a search, but not found anyone who's done this though - can anyone point me in the direction of someone that has?

Steve
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:13am
Thanx flyonline , I think this will be my next project  Smile
Bad Dad View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 8:20am
Do you need to etch the Polyurethane to get the paint to adhere to it, or can you use normal enamel/acrylic paints.  I have been using a two part PU system which demoulds with the use of a silicon spray and have a bugger of a time getting paint to adhere to it, even after thorough cleaning.Censored
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Bad Dad Bad Dad wrote:

Do you need to etch the Polyurethane to get the paint to adhere to it, or can you use normal enamel/acrylic paints.  I have been using a two part PU system which demoulds with the use of a silicon spray and have a bugger of a time getting paint to adhere to it, even after thorough cleaning.Censored

I'm not completely sure on this, I've been using Duplicolor rattle cans which sticks like Censored to a blanket on epoxies, but so far it's not adhering really well as you say. I've also tried some airbrush enamel and likewise, though I have some acrylic to try and as none of these have had clear over that, I'm hoping that will hold it all together.

Failing that, I might try doing some painting in the mold before pouring the PU - this works excellently with epoxies and is very difficult to get off once cured. It will mean I lose the 30min turn around as you have to let the paint cure 24hrs before laying (pouring in this case) up.

At the very least, the pigments work really well anyway so I might just be limited to whatever I can create color/pattern wise with the resin.

I pulled a clear epoxy one this morning, looks really clear though I did pick up a few airbubbles despite de-gassing the resin before pouring.

Shrimp/prawn anyone LOL

Steve
Google View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Google Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:38pm
MAte have a go at the acrylic model car body paints (the ones that they spray the shells for petrol RC cars) using a plastic primer like the 3M stuff for car bumpers and the like.  they dry quick and stick well.

Have a good one! Rhys
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Google Google wrote:

MAte have a go at the acrylic model car body paints (the ones that they spray the shells for petrol RC cars) using a plastic primer like the 3M stuff for car bumpers and the like.  they dry quick and stick well.

Have a good one! Rhys

Thanks Rhys, I picked up some from the hobby shop the other day to try but just haven't got round to using it yet.

Steve
neilmny View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilmny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 9:58am
Steve, you are a true do it yourselfer. I suppose the skills with resins and etc. came from another hobby Wink
Neil.
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by neilmny neilmny wrote:

Steve, you are a true do it yourselfer. I suppose the skills with resins and etc. came from another hobby Wink
Neil.

Busted! Embarrassed LOL

terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:27pm
how do you stop your mold from leaking pleaseCry
Terryd
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:13pm
I have two pieces of ply/MDF/laminex that hold the two halves together with a couple of rubber bands. You need enough pressure to hold it tight, but not so much it distorts the mold.

terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:32pm
Thanks loved your post on 2 piece mold.
Terryd
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 5:59pm
Glad to help!

The other reason for doing the two halves together as opposed to two halves of the plug/lure on a flat board is you're guaranteed that they will match up perfectly - any warps etc. don't matter.

Putting the mold plus sides in a vice would also work.

Steve
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 6:07pm
Great thankyou this is a briliant site
Terryd
seagull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:08pm
Like Google wipe lure body down with plastic prep then ad just a touch to your paint that you intened to use and off you go spraying happily away.Well this is what we used to do in the spray shop.You can either get it in a spray can or you can buy it in the half litre counter i think from memory.
Cheerz Seagull
lure crazy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lure crazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 7:50pm
Just started moulding lures rather than making the cedar ones and found the same thing with the first few batches. The paint wouldnt take in some small spots ,or would end up with small blisters under the paint after being exposed to heat, even after cleaning down each lure with silicon & wax remover. Ive found the erathane lures need about a week to properly cure and solvents etc to evaporate off before adding a light coat of adhesion promoter to the lure ( plastic flexi primer from auto shops.) Then priming and painting, had no problems as yet since doing this!Big smile Probably pumped out around 80 lures doing this now and none have failed, except some times having tiny air bubble holes expose themselves on the surface when sanding the seams off.Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic