LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > TAS Lures > Johnson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Johnson Super Kobra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Johnson Super Kobra
    Posted: 18 May 2011 at 12:41pm
Located 1991 Fishing World
Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:48pm
The ORIGINAL Tassie winged lure!!!!!
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 6:55pm
Brad is that how you tell them apart the wings.Do other brands have the little wings under the bottom of the lure.
The Journey is the Reward

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:27pm
Brad

Were they produced before the Tassie Devils

regards John
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:45pm
Bill Monk's were very early as well .... so what was the first ???
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 7:51pm
Johnson Kobras seem to have a V top and bottom  will check all mine tommorrow
Were they from MOle Creek in Tassie?
Regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 10:04pm
Barry, The Johnson Kobra has a distinctive forked tail. All Kobras have red eyes. Super Kobras are the latest model and have Super Kobra embossed on the wings.

I used to have some info on the origins of the winged lures of Tasmania, unfortunately it resides in the dead hard drive Cry
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 12:01am
What happened to the Johnson's? Are they still being made? I remember buying them in KMart way before I'd ever heard of Tassie Devils, I like them a lot. I also liked the wobblers they made.
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 1:04am
Hi
I have got this in a swap. Have offend wondered how old it cud be. Can any of you help i will be thankfully
Got some more old lures i will put on L.L. later, and hope to get some age ore other info on them.
By the way. I am catching almost all my Sea-trout at night on the little "Tassie" Have used it since 1985
And have caught hundreds on it. Is modifying the lure into a model that suits the Streams i fish in. 

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 8:29am
Pj
I think that is a Tillians lure made down the Tamar river in Tassie  (Deviot  ?  MXB , may know) aound late 70  /80 's I would have thought.
Not sure about the length of time the colour range ran for.

Regards John

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Hi
I have got this in a swap. Have offend wondered how old it cud be. Can any of you help i will be thankfully
Got some more old lures i will put on L.L. later, and hope to get some age ore other info on them.
By the way. I am catching almost all my Sea-trout at night on the little "Tassie" Have used it since 1985
And have caught hundreds on it. Is modifying the lure into a model that suits the Streams i fish in. 

I'm interested in the 'not so careful' DIY paint job on the lure to the right of the photo. A bloke I know (Lynnie) was hand painting this exact pattern on old Tassies/Lofty's for Jindabyne & Eucumbene. Where did you come by that lure, if it's OK to ask?

REgards

John
Trout tramp View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout tramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 1:15am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Brad

Were they produced before the Tassie Devils

regards John
Brian Johnston produced the first cobra in 1949
Ted tillin /tillins cobra early 1950's
Marshall Johnson/Johnson super lures developed there cobra 1957
Wigston/Tassie devil developed 1963 but not mass produced for the Australian market until 1979
Hope this helps a little
Cheers
Trout tramp
fresh water fishing issue 50 page 100
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 7:33am
Thanks Trout tramp
I think I may posted those interesting articles up with Tony's help a little while ago

Regards John
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 7:40am
Trout tramp
can you say anything about age on the Cobra i have in the Pict.
Thanks Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
justackle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justackle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm
Johnsons are still made but in Qld now not Tassie. We carry a large range in our shop.  Chris.
Trout tramp View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trout tramp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Trout tramp
can you say anything about age on the Cobra i have in the Pict.
Thanks Per
Sorry Per can't help with the age of that one but I will keep trying to find out what I can for you
Did you re rig that lure in the photo as I cant remember them having that disc in between the lure body and the line tie like that and not sure when they started to print tillins on the lures either
As I say I will keep trying to see what I can find out for you
Cheers
Trout tramp
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2013 at 2:04pm
Mine has that little plastic disk as well
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic