LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with clear coat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with clear coat
    Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:01pm
Hi All,
I used to carve a few lures for myself back in the late 1980’s for Barra when I was in the NT, I only have 2x old poppers left from those days.
I recently wanted to get back into making a few for myself as a hobby and for the satisfaction I guess. I have a few shapes that I am happy enough with, but the painting is a bit of an issue.
I am trying to get a nice finish, so have gotten an air brush and have been using Createx water based paints. I am still learning the air brush, but the real issue I am having is when I go to put the final clear coat on, I am using 1k ppg clear coat, it’s a nice product but I am getting some crinkling of the finish, I will try and get some photos to show what I mean - any ideas would be welcomed (perhaps I should go to 2k?).

Cheers
SnowE
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:40pm
Here are some more photos

SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 5:41pm
And More

Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:16pm
I exclusively use wicked paints by createx and love  it. 
What sort of clear is it? 
Also what breed of createx are you using?

Dan
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:19pm
Sorry, I just saw it was a PPG product. 
Dan
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:43pm
Hi Danny,

I am using wicked and auto colours from Createx.

What clear coat do you use?

Cheers,
SnowE
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 7:42pm
Looks like orange peel, are you applying thin coats? What pressure are you running on the compressor?  People using Createx normally spray at low pressures.. crank it up to 30 psi when spraying clear.

I used Createx for three years, just turfed it, best thing I ever did, now using Dulux Autospeed, just about every luremaker in the country has changed to it or similar.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:03am
Hey Steve,
I have for the last few years used envirotex lite with exceptional results. It’s a 2 part epoxy brushed on and then placed on a cheap rotisserie to level it out. 
I’ve recently had a couple of lures dipped in a moisture cure 1k mirotone product and can’t fault the results. 
I did have some similar lures a few years back that looked similar to yours with the same mirotone product and after a little research with the supplier, it sounded like some thinners had evaporated out of the clear resulting in what your experiencing. 
I’m no pro, just sharing my limited experiences. 
Would you describe the crinkle effect to look like a skin has formed? Apparently that was the dead give away about the thinners. Dunno. 
Dan
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:45am
Hi Nativeman,
Thanks for your reply, it’s not orange peel, more like shrinkage of the Createx paints under the clear.
I think I need to make sure I spray the clear fairly dry for several coats before a heavier blending coat to smooth it out and give the finish I want.
I have sprayed standard 1k acrylic before and find the Createx paints harder to use due to slower drying and poor coverage of the lighter pigments
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:49am
Thanks Danny,
You may be on the money with the thinners comment, I think i may need to make sure I don’t spray too heavier coats until the surface is ready for it. The heavier coats seem to react worst.
I started by dipping and that resulted in jump up/ crinkling every time.
If I do light coats via my spray gun (not air brush) for 2 or 3 coats followed by a couple of medium heavy coats to blend it looks a lot better.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:56am
Give the bloke from airbrush megastore a call and ask him. 
I had a good yarn with him the other day about my paints and painting process, mainly because it had been a few years since I reviewed what I was using and method and he put me back on the straight and narrow again as I drifted from how they should be applied and dried. 
Most of it was around mixing of reducers and drying between layers. Was very good info. 
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:21pm
would it be that your base coat is not compatible with the clearcoat?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:29am
Hi Nicho,
It is if it’s not applied too wet ( the clear coat that is), I have had some turn out great, while others have the crinkled under finish happening.
Just not sure if I should try a different final clear or not.
It could also be that I don’t leave enough time between Createx coats also I guess, because I am not very patient.

Cheers
SnowE
Andymac1970 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andymac1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:27pm
How is the PPG 1k holding up e.g. how hard does it dry, I am using Concept 2k great stuff but the odour pretty bad.  Great looking lures too 
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:32pm
you should be using 2k clear i would say that the thinners is playing up with the basecoat i use cretex and dont have a problem and i work in the panel  industry and we use ppg 
panelandpaint
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:56pm
Thanks Brian, 
I will keep trying with the 1k for now, but will give the 2k a go next year after my 1k has run out or if I cannot sort it by applying 2-3 dry coats first followed by some wetter coats to smooth it all out.
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 7:39am
Update on my saga with the clear - I am now using Concept ms-100 and it works great! Very happy with it, wish I had started with it now.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 8:11am
Great to hear Steve. 
Looking forward to seeing the results. 
Dan
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:42am
Thanks Dan,

Yeah I still need to add bibs and wait for them to fully cure, but here a couple of photo including a Nude in Maple, I have a few in Red Cedar that will need a sand and another coat or two (plus I have not added their eyes yet).
I am happy with how it flows and finishes, just need to use a mask and goggles as it has a few nasties in it. Looking forward to my new Air Brush arriving and see if it works better than my $50 E-bay special!
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:43am
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 9:49am
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 12:13pm
Yeah good work Steve. 
Looks really nice. 
Congratulations. 

Dan
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 2:54pm
Now they are very nice lures- well done they should slay the fishes- Great shapes and great paint.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 2:30pm
I have had the same thing happen to my lures, mainly when spraying a Primer / Filler that I have diluted with thinners, it was especially bad if mixture too thin or I did a few batches when it was over 40 degrees and they turned out absolutely terrible which I put down to flash evaporation of the thinners within the mix.

Nice looking lures on the ones that worked.

I rarely paint my own lures so just sharing what Issues I have had in the past.

Cheers
steve

Living outside of the square means never having to sit in the corner
danm1000 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danm1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 11:59am
Hey Steve,

How are you applying the MS-100? The results look fantastic!

I finally bit the bullet and ordered an airbrush kit from the megastore so I'm looking ahead to see which clear coat is going to work best for me!

Cheers,
Dan
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 12:56pm
Hi Dan,

I am spraying it on using a top feed touch up gun (not air brush). I usually apply 2, sometimes 3 coats (depends if I mixed the right amount!). Allow 10 minutes between coats and wear a suitable respirator and long sleeves is best, I also wear googles.
It will run if you put it on to thick, but it is a nice product and also more durable than the 1k clear I was using.
I have never used Etex so can’t tell you which is better, but I did not want to have to use a rotisserie, so did not go with etex. This 2k clear can just be hung up by the nose and if it’s been applied right you will get minimal sag or runs. I do get a little drop on the rear hook hangers that needs to be cleaned up when it’s dry.
Cheers,

SnowE
danm1000 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danm1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:00pm
Thanks for the prompt reply, Steve!

Do you think I'd be able to paint it on and get a decent finish?

Cheers again mate!
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:04pm
I think that you could perhaps air brush it on, but you would need to thin it out and then make sure you cleaned out the air brush well afterwards.
If you mean by brush, then no I don’t think that would work.
Do you have a compressor?, if so I am using a $40 spray gun, it was cheaper than my air brush and it works well
Cheers,

SnowE
danm1000 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danm1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 1:10pm
Ah okay that's good to know.

Yeah I have a compressor, I might have to get a cheap spray gun and try it that way!

See how I go when everything turns up!

Cheers,
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic