LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horne Waders Background

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horne Waders Background
    Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 8:43pm
 A visiting mate and I arranged to have a couple of pairs of Horne waders repaired by the factory in South Australia recently.

Penny arranged  the repairs and when completed, phoned, and we made payment over the phone with a credit card.

First class service was provided  by Penny and she was extremely helpful in answering our questions.

I approached Penny for any info on the company that I could provide to L L as  I thought you guys might be sitting on a pair of Horne waders that might require repairs.

Unfortunately broken glass hidden in the mud as the Lake falls courses much of our problems.

Note that they have a form available  for anybody that may need large boot sizes, longer lengths / larger widths can be arranged for a small charge.

All you experienced computer buffs will find them on the internet. (Or something like that)

Regards  John

Horne Waders

Provided By Penny.

Mention waders and anglers throughout Australia immediately think of Horne waders. The range and quality of wet weather protective clothing made by Horne’s is without question the best available. I recently had the pleasure of a personal guided tour of the A. S. Horne Consolidated Pty Ltd factory located at Wingfield South Australia. Chief Executive Officer John Neate and his daughter Penny are extremely proud and passionate of this Australian owned and operated business. It was an absolute pleasure to be shown through the factory and have a close look at these locally made quality products.

Alexander Stainthorpe Horne established a manufacturing plant way back in April 1934 and would you believe ladies fashion gloves, farmer’s PVC boots and plastic boots for sheep were significant products made by Horne’s in those early days. Protective clothing and waders were not manufactured until the early 1970’s and in no time accounted for 80 per cent of the national market. Horne’s reputation as a manufacturing leader in waders and wet weather clothing is based on the quality of the products and materials used. Some of these are made from scratch within the factory. Resiting temptation to compete with cheaper imported brands coming from overseas has guaranteed Horne’s waders, boots and other protective clothing are the best money can buy.

Horne waders come in a variety of styles being full length, waist length, thigh boot and armpit. You also have a range of boots to choose from to suit varying fishing needs. Blundstone boots are great when fishing areas where sharp objects such as razor fish can be encountered with the strong thick soles offering great protection. Pimple soles are perfect for sand conditions and these are available in an extra thick boot. A steel toe Blundstone boot is also available.

As for colours, olive green is the most popular but black, blue, yellow and orange are all available. With ever increasing female anglers, John is looking at introducing pink waders in the near future.

Correct fitting is vital and waders not only need to be comfortable but also correct fitting is mandatory from a safety perspective. Standard sizes of waders are available from a junior small right through to an adult XOS. Choosing a pair of waders straight from the shelf may not suit all anglers. Custom made waders is another service that Horne’s offer. For a small extra fee, waders can be made to order to fit the angler perfectly. Being tall and slim myself, I have found waders to be a bit bulky and have felt uncomfortable wearing them at times. I chose this custom fit option myself. Firstly, you need to decide what type of boot best suits your fishing needs. I fish a lot of shallow water chasing flathead and regularly come across razor fish so my choice of boot was easy, the Blundstone boot. Next you need to try on boots for correct fitting. Wearing socks with waders is a common practice and certainly adds some comfort with Explorer style socks being ideal. Boots should not be tight and should not be too loose as to come off when walking through mud or soft sand. When fitted correctly, boots should be able to be shaken off with a bit of foot shaking. Now you have your boots sorted, the style of waders is next. Full length is the most popular offering great weather protection, however I chose waist length. The reason for this was I particularly wanted a pair of wader’s for shallow water fishing and also to wear when launching and retrieving my boat; waist length waders suited these applications perfectly. Having chosen the style next comes the tailor measuring and in my case, I was able to go a smaller medium waist size but had an extra 40mm put into the overall length. Colour choice was easy, with pink being unavailable, I went the olive green. After a couple of days, the end result was possession of a perfect fit custom pair of waders. If you are not satisfied with waders straight from the shelf, have a talk with your stockist and discuss the option of custom fit. The small extra charge and couple of days wait is well worth while in the long term.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 7:09am
Great story behing the waders John.Thankyou for your time and effort for putting it up on LL..
I am sure many of the members will appreciate it.
The Journey is the Reward

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 10:29pm
Thanks John
I am always pleased to see the promotion of a local product which has held its own against the endless opposition from cheaper inferior imported products.
I have had several pairs of these over more years than I wish to remember and was unaware that they could be taken in for repair.
My son has a holiday house in a location where there is no boat ramps, Boat launching is done with a tractor and involves up to a 300 metre walk through 40/50 cm water back to the boat once the tractor is parked back on the beach.
Ok to do in shorts through the summer but bloody cold without waders in the winter and ya stay wet for most of the day without waders.
Good on ya Horne Waders
Cheers Kimo   
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:28am
ive got a pair of thigh waders i bought way back in the early 90's ,they're the first of the black boot ones(the factory that supplied the original green boots burnt down if i remember right).apart from being really stained and having bike tube patches on a couple of barb wire tears they are as good as the day i bought them.a very fine product indeed.thanks for putting up this post John i never knew they did repairs.i wonder if they'd do a stockingfoot thigh wader?,it would be ideal in the soert of places we fish
that's no how ye make porridge!
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 10:42am

Great story and great waders!

I have a pair of both the thigh boots and full length, bought them back in the early eighties and they copped a hiding for the two years I lived in Richmond, west of Sydney, every weekend they were used either down the Snowy's or around Blue Mountains creeks and rivers. Still in great nick to this day although there's not much call for them around Darwin..........something to do with the bities in the water.......

As a comparison I also had a pair of Simms full length neoprenes, they fell to pieces after being used for three years.......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic