LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Nuddies from Moz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Nuddies from Moz
    Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 11:32pm
Hi there,

I was lucky enough to received just before Christmas, a present from Moz: two of his own handmade fishing lures. He even asked me if I would prefer them as nuddies or painted.
I said nuddies.

In this post you are going to read about:
Two timber fishing lures.
Both nuddy. 
One I will use to fish, the other will stay dry in the collection.
Yes Moz is the maker of the now well regarded Stick With Eyes, a timber lure that has earned its strips on the Darwin Harbour mud flats. With a great amount of Barramundi already caught by this little lure.

Why a name like the Stick With Eye? Well maybe because that is what it simply look like.
Look for yourself:

The Stick With Eyes.

I am sure that now you understand why...
At first glance it does look like a stick with eyes. 
But if you look at it closely, you start to see that it is shaped for swimming.

Hydrodynamic of the Stick with Eyes.

I can tell you that this very lure will be swimming, and hopefully bring me back a Barramundi.
This is what dream are made of...
And yes, it is signed under the chin, like a hipster tattoo:

Signed under the chin.

That to me is a fishing lure, who own its beauty in great part to it simplicity.

The rightly named Stick With Eyes.

At 9 cm long (3.5433071 inch), it is small, but has already proved it efficiency, it is power in a small package at its finest.

Now the second lure, called the Fall Out, is a lure that I have never fished, but this one will stay dry and safe, in my little collection.
It has already proved itself a good fish catcher too. After all, Moz caught a Barramundi that was over the metre mark on it in 2014. What other proof does one need?
And it is a rather beautiful one too:

The Fall Out.

Yes this one is a nuddy too. The more it goes the more I start to love my fishing lures to be "Au Naturel". I am yet to decide if they have the same fishing capacity as the painted ones, but on pure look, they have won my heart.
The Fall Out is a fishing lure of small size too: only 8 cm (3.1496063 inch).
Like the Stick with Eyes, it is rigged with double hooks instead of the more traditional trebles found on many hard body lures.
In fact I have myself equipped some of my Reidy's B52s with this type of hooks.
I then use them mostly when fishing land based, in very rocky places. This help to avoid getting snagged on the first rock or oysters that your lure bump into.
But I have to say that I didn't invent the system myself, no, in fact I had seen a post about it on the great blog: Secret Barramundi, written by Hiro, a legend of land based Barramundi fishing in Darwin.

Portait of the Fall Out.

When it is looking at you, you know that he means business.
From a profile point of view, the double hook, actually look like the fins.

Side view of the Fall Out.

This look like a small lure that would have a great action, destined to go snags bashing and extract fishes from the most unholy places.
The bib is made of aluminium.
Here is one last image, for the road as they say...

Dreaming of catching big fishes.

Both were made by hand, in Darwin, Australia.
We are pretty lucky in Darwin as it seems to be a revival of the cottage lure industry. It is very nice to see so many people making artisanal timber fishing lures; so close to home.

This is two lures that I really like and am very happy to now have in my possession.
Thank you Moz, that was a great Christmas present.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:29am
Great looking lures Pecheur! I love the shape of the shallow runner, should have a good action worked slowly on the flats! Good luck with your quest... Smile
Fysshe
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 10:00am
Lovely grain in those lures. What timber are they?
cheers steiny
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:34am
I was wondering that as well Darren! I have some mango with a similar grain...
Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:51am
really nice looking lures Pecheur,the top one is very prawn like.Moz makes a very nice lure indeed
that's no how ye make porridge!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 3:52pm
Brilliant use of grain here Pecheur, with looks like that who needs paint.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 8:06pm
Hi there,

Thank you for the replies.
I am not sure of what wood does Moz use.
I will ask him and get back to you.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 1:41pm
Hi there,

So I talked to Moz, and in regards to what timber he is using, he said:
"It's a topend native tree from my yard"...
And that is all .

I hope this help?
Wink

Have a good day,
Pecheur
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 4:38pm
Pecheur, Very nice nudes indeed, however the lure you`re going to fish, wouldn`t it be best to turn belly Double hook the other way?? Instead of tucking up into lure body?? Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 12:01pm
Very nice Regis, lots of luck catching on them.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 8:51pm
Hi there,

Hey Seaweed, are you around at the moment?

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 4:21pm
G'day all

Firstly thanks to Tony for sorting out a problem with my Lurelovers access so I can now see the posts/pictures (some pictures I still can't view & couldn't before I had the problem, not sure why?)

Richard

Moz & his mate Steve came out to my place a couple of weeks ago before I went overseas to go through some lure making techniques/painting, he showed me a couple of his lures & the reason he runs the small double hooks upright towards the body is to allow him to fish it through shallow mangrove flats/roots systems, said he still has a pretty good hook up rate & a lot less drama with the mangrove roots.I fish similar areas & can relate to the issue.

As for the timber name, I will see if I can get a definite name, I had made some nudes out of it that I found when walking & was originally told it was Black Wattle, but after someone telling me the characteristics of Black Wattle I think it is a different timber, as this stuff is pretty light & soft, don't recall the name Moz thought it was. I also picked up some timber from Gili Air island off Lombok, same characteristics in some sections & they called it Bia (not sure of the spelling, be interested to see how it comes up after I finish the epoxy coating, cheers Wayne.

Pechuer

Have to catch up at some stage, cheers Wayne
Scurvy Dog
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:11pm
Hi Wyane, and other,

Yes the hooks being put like this is good when fishing mangrove, but also when fishing land based in places where there is lot of oyster rock. 
The lure then doesn't snag as much as traditional trebles would.

I have retro-fitted some off the shelves hard body plastics like this (B52s) and use them, it still hook fish, and I loose less lures.

Wayne, yes it would be good to catch up.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 3:45pm
G'day all

I can't see the photo of the lure, not sure why, however after contacting Moz the timber is believed to be Beach Hibiscus, cheers Wayne.
Scurvy Dog
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2015 at 8:37pm
Gday balls, I travel to the gili, s once every year or 2, will check out some timber next time. If you go up to the wreck at tolumben bay, east bali, past candi dasa, there is a dive and snorkel site of a US wreck from ww11, great place to snorkel, surronded by thousands of big eye trevs, but better still, are the carvings you can buy on the beach there, amazing timber with beautiful grains, was going to buy some big carvings, so I could cut them up to make nudes! Still might!

pech, they are 2 nice lures, very original and unique.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 4:26pm
G'day Davent/all

Dave when you return to the Gili's, on Gili Air there are two small wood working shops, one in the middle area & one I think is on the on the Northern side, anyway its not that big an island so its not hard to locate on your wanders, I picked up some nice timbers from their offcuts at a reasonable price (tourist price of course). On Gili Air there is also a boat builder named (Yawn,(Yuan)or however they spell it, located down the opposite end to the tourists, interesting group of blokes & great to watch them building their boats. I picked up a few nice pieces from him also, they mostly used Taub but had a couple of other nice offcuts for nudes. I think most of the timber comes from Lombok. The other piece I picked up the time before was a bit of Coconut, totally different to any other coconut I have seen with reddish grain lines through it, unfortunately couldn,t locate any this time around, also some interesting tools in the little tool shops on Gili Air. Next time I'm in Bali I will check out the other options, but its probably time for another holiday location, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2015 at 1:56pm
Yep, the gilis are far more developed than even a few years ago.
we stayed at gili t last time, and could not believe how much it had grown!
some top timber in indo.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic