Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > SA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Squid Lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squid Lure
    Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:10pm
I tire of repetitive lure making once its done and I am happy with the results I make a few but look for a new challenge. This is a lead into some new shapes for me as most lure shapes have been done before and unashamedly some makers have a great influence but I try for my own style. I have some lures waiting for completion and when finished I will post photos and explain the driver for the new shape. However I went down the track of a new shape and became fairly fustrated with result so rather than putting it to the saw I cut a new bib slot and bogged up the holes with araldite and sawdust and tried again. So I primed it fitted the new bib and tried it out. Good enuff to paint and glue in the bib which I duly did. Today I took this and several others for tank test at the local launching ramp and was satisfied with results of the first two. The third lure the one that had already caused some angst would swim to the side and I was becoming frusrated. I adjusted the bib & cast a bit further and upped the retrieve speed only to be followed by a pod of squid. I stopped retrieving just short of the pontoon and twitched the lure on the surface and one of the sqid attacked it. I couldnt hook it becoz of the plastic on the hooks. Took the plastic off and proceeded to hook 6 squid landing only three on my new squid lure. Calamari for teaBig smileClap
The older I get the more I learn.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:14pm
onya, if at first you don't suceed, try try again....mick
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:58pm
Ass beats class any day Bill.A lot of great inventions over the years was by chance and it looks as though you have an Ika winner.
The Journey is the Reward

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:49pm
Bill, onya bloke Clap Hard to keep a good man down.
We discovered that squid can be caught on poppers a few years back. We were casting 50mm japanese poppers into rocky ground surrounding Russell Is in Moreton Bay chasing Bream, when we found that we could also temp Squid by slowing the retrieve down and waiting for the Squid to sidle over and give the lure a 'cuddle'. Like you found, hook up rate was ok but cephlapod to net rate wasn't great. Still managed a good feed of calamari every outing though Thumbs Up

Show us some pics of the Calamari Culler Wink

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:55pm
Nice work Bill, can't wait to see some pics.Thumbs Up
Cheers,

Gavin
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 8:24pm
Remember the bucket Barry? A beats C. Its cold and wet & windy down here. Billj
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 8:32pm
Darby will do some photos tomorrow. Nothing special about the lure more the color I think. They have followed lures there before but not been so aggressive. Today they would pull the lure down a bit but would let go I think becoz of the buoyancy. It is all gloss white ready for colors but I might add a bit of weight to reduce the buoyancy tomorrow. Not much else to do. Billj
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 8:34pm
look fotward to seeing your new lures Bill, ive been playing with a few new shapes to, one shape is a bit prawny.
Influence was a bit along your lines, twisted the blade on my band saw, and stuffed a blank, resulting sape looked a bit prawny, so put it on the linisher, and came up with it.
I can post apic here if you like, ill show you mine, if you show me yoursWink
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 8:40pm
I am not so sure about that DaveEmbarrassed Will be in Darwin for 2 afternoons 26/03 & 2/04 if you or Seaweed are around

Billj
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:11pm
Bill, I can always make time, my wife leaves to Bali that night, will have the house to myself, maybe we can organise a fish, Seaweed, will you be around then?
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:35pm
Well I am luckyCry I went squidding again today but never saw a cephlapod in sight. But I did fix the lures wayward swimming action. I also took a photo of it on the deck at the ramp on yesterdays ink. The photo will appear below. However when I got home I think I washed it so I could glue the bib and hung it out to dry somewhere. Collectively my wife and I have spent 3hrs min looking for it to no avail. CryCry Oldtimers in a big way.
About the lure, when I was last in Airlie beach my son caught some herring for bait in a cast net . They impressed so I took a photo with a mental note that it would be a good baitfish to copy as a lure. Now I have recently had time to play but couldn't find where I had stored the photo. Oldtimers again, so from memory the squid lure was memory job. Finally I found the photo and the 1st lure was nothing like it.
So armed with the photo I produced 2 lures about the right shape and size phtos of which I will post when painted.

So below is No1 lure, and the herring photo and lure sketch

Squid 1

Herring and template

Billj
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:57pm
beautiful Bill that shape is perfectThumbs Up
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 9:47pm
Bill, I don't think colour has a lot to do with it, the poppers we found most effective (probably because we fished them more often) were basically clear with a subdued olive spine, but the gold or silver versions worked as well.
Nice herring/shad shape that one.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 10:08pm
like that one alot Bill, very nice, please bring some to darwin Clap
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 8:36am
Hey Bill, nice shape. The Herring shape must be "IN" at the moment, I have been playing with one too. Same as you, mine started with a real Greenback Herring/Sardine. We will need to compare, when I get around to finishing mine.
Cheers,

Gavin
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 8:52am
Gavin its been a long time coming, been in the back of my mind for a while I played with other shapes.  I will order one of yours right now please if I may. I love your work. Regards Billj
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 9:00am
Bill , that lure is made for the Tropics , casting over the reef for Coral Trout , what a winner . ClapClapThumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:43pm
Bill, mine are still a little while off, I have 4 prototypes ready to swim test with different bib shapes. I have a trip planned for a few weeks time, I hope to have them ready and give them the true test on some fish. Once I have proven them, I will pencil you in for one.
Cheers,

Gavin
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 2:57pm
Bill quite often trolling around bird island near wallaroo targeting the salmon schools you'll get squid on the troll mate I used to use knols 5cm minnows in red head yellow body with black tail scale and on the bow -mount electric trolling at cod speed i'd quite often get large calamari attacking the lure,which proved to be great as combined with rat kingys rugger snapper and large snook trolling those shallow water climes was very table productive........Gee I'm missing S.A. already....... mountains of squid in isolated waters CryCryCry crumbed squid and gardies for brekky.....what have I doneCryCryCry no squid here bilge just supermarket crap.........B.J.CryCryCry
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:34pm
BJ just had some fresh SBT sashimi and a char grilled tuna steak fresh from Victor Harbor, fish about 15- 20 kg Billj
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:45am
Bill, Eric Moller played with the 'Mud Herring' shape in the early 70's, this one is in Bruce Mollers collection. I think Barry has a few aswell LOL. Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 1:46pm
Wink Victor Harbour Tuna well done Bill now don't go overboard and stuff yourself ay mate???? I suppose your going to tell me all about those coffin bay oysters next???? Bloody hard life aint it???? .........B.J.LOL
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 9:31pm
Yeh BJ and western king prawns and southern rock lobster..MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!OhYeah
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm
So you're one of those catching the SBT at Victor. Roy said there are a few around but 5 km + offshore. Uncle Roy said he remembers you fishing the mouth of the Murray.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2013 at 2:30pm
Martin How is Roy travelling these days Billj
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic