ABU Killer Scandinavian Origins of the minnow lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ABU Killer Scandinavian Origins of the minnow lure
    Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 7:48am

Trace the ABU Killer Pedigree and Scandinavian Lineage

How do these stunning 70+ year old photographic studies fit into the story of the development of the ABU Killer ?

See more detsails here http://realsreels.com/baits/historyofthefinishminnow.aspx

As I began the Toby history and Hi-Lo history, what better way to start off the history of the famous Killer lure than to quote directly from the man himself;

Wayne,

You wanted some more info about the  Killer lure.

The original Rapala lure was getting very popular. It was made of wood bark and did not hold up very well if attacked by a big pike.

A company in the US – REBEL – made a copy of the Rapala in plastic. I bought some of these lures on a trip to the US and then tested them pike fishing by my summer home by the Baltic Sea.

The Rebel lure had better and more consistent movement in the water and was not damaged by the sharp pike teeth.

Instead of making just another copy of the Rapala we decided to buy the plastic bodies from the Rebel Company.

They were then assembled and packaged in Sweden.

After I left ABU this lure as well as all the other lures was made in the Orient. I however do not think that the quality suffered. It just made the lures less costly.

Regards! Len

General Observations

My first experience with the ABU Killer was in 1967 when  I was a teenager getting meagre amounts of pocket money to spend on fishing lures which were very expensive in reference to my world. I was interesting that when i saw the Rebel Killers from USA it was several years after I had bought the Swedish licenced bodies and sold under the ABU brand name.

All ABU Killers had either 2 or 3 treble hooks depending on size (length and weight)

All ABU Killers were made of plastic (until a Balsa version was sold in 1988) unlike the growing range of Finnish Baltic pine minnows such as the Paijanne below which was initially available in silver and gold. Sizes were 10g 130mm, 9g 110mm and 6g 90mm only. I suspect but cannot confirm that they were floating models only.

cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic