Hello world

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello world
    Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:39am
WinkFree information that is available on line through web sites such as this one for example could be a direct influence with lots of peopleLOL for years i was envious of how american anglers could sit at home make there own lures whether soft plastic, metal/blades, timber hard bodies and actually had interested companies supplying product for the home builder. Thats what I think we need more of in Australia,more companies retailing bulk parts and items for the home lure builders..........B.J.
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:12pm
no problem mate I would gladly share anyway if I thought I had an idea that worked.  I think that the dollar catching up with the US dollar has made a new world open up in tackle making.  Everything is only a click away now. 
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:52pm
Wink G'day mate,yeah I totally agree with your comments.re everyone having there own favs! I'm glad you make your own mate you see I'm happy as a pig in the proverbial that Australia has finally caught up to the good ol U.S.A. re; homemade lure making. I certainly look forward to seeing your creativity being expressed through your craftmanship and who knows maybe you'd even like to swap products one dayWink but don't worry about me copying mate as I definitely have my own ideas on what my spinnerbaits should look and do in the water!!!!!! regards to you and I hope you get a metery on a twin spin soon good on ya..............B.J.
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:33pm
doccod everyone has their favourite style and presentation, the single willow is the lure that I usually tie on first, probably a confidence thing.  I found them hard to get and that is why I started making spinnerbaits.  I actually have had a fairly good success rate since a day with that praticular guideWink, using his approach. I normally have two rods on the go and use a jackall doozer or a large chatter bait on one and a spinnerbait on the other.  I have caught a good cod on a twin spin it measured 93cm.The spinnerbait was retrieved up to a stump and allowed to helicopter down when all of a sudden line was stripping from the reel.  Great feeling.  You just have to keep plugging away with the cod and find what approach is working.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:12pm
WinkG'day mate yeah I know about using copper blades because of the tannin stained water you have down that way, and I've seen video footage of a well known guide on that water who also uses single copper willows in I'd say size 41/2 maybe 5 on a blue head etc etc. I like that concept of making the bigger fish commit with a faster presentation but disagree with the weight issue as I've often pulled cod from 6ft water quick retrieve on 1ounce spinbaits that were equipped with doc shelton blades in a tandem fashion, long before another spinnerbait company turned up on that lake with same blades,configuration. Willows put out a great beat at night when the fish are really active. I personally like deep cup colorado's or doc shelton blades for the majority of my fishing and actually love using doc blades on twin spin styled baits, as there erratic swimming nature and semi weedless design make cod fishing a great treat. regards B.J.Wink
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:18am
I forgot to mention that I troll with 1/2 to 5/8 spinnerbaits as well as they catch a lot of fish in water 2 -3 metres deep.  1 oz is probably a bit heavy for the areas at Mulwala where the fish hold during the summer months
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:17am
All blade colours have their day but copper is the most consistent on the lake here.  Gold and silver twin colorados are a good combination.  It is probably the clarity of the water here that dictates the blade colour most of all.  Late in the season the water tends to clear up
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:13pm
Can I ask why the copper blades are your choice? No mention of gold, any reason why? Do you troll with the 1oz?
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:52pm
doccod I mainly use single willow blades in 1/2 - 5/8 for casting the lake, but also use the royal willows.  copper is the pick of the blades here but black nickel and silver have their days depending on the clarity.  I mainly make my spinnerbaits for fishing myself and just paint a solid colours on the heads, I will get a few photos for a look when I get a chance.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:47pm
Wink I said NICE greenfish too ay...... rotten computa..........LOL..B.J.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:45pm
WinkG'day mate good to see more cod fisho's on site show us some of your spinnerbaits please as I'm always interested in seeing whats what where, green fish too mate......B.J. 
SNAFU View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
RIPP-N LURES

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNAFU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 12:36pm
Welcome ben, i'm fairly new here myself and these guys are very skillfull...helpfull..and knoweldgeable,enjoy LL mate.....yeh as said...nice cod mate...

Mick!!!
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:56am
Welcome, Ben.

The best timbers for carving lures are those timbers with less defined grains  -  in other words, they don't split easily.  The traditional lure carving timbers - Australian Red Cedar, White Beech and Brown Beech - come into this category and are also fairly water stable.  Carving timbers with defined grains, like Rosewood, can be heartbreaking when the Stanley knife picks up the grain and a chunk of timber splinters off.Cry

If you shape your lures on a belt sander, the grain is not an issue.

I'd be a bit reluctant to use pine, particularly if you are dragging big bibbed lures through sunken timber and fighting monster codBig smile.

If you are into the recycled timber thing, try finding some soft, white Meranti from building sites - door jams, window frames etc.

Cheers

Travers

PS.  Nice Cod Clap
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:44am
Hi Ben,. Welcome mate...Try some western red cedar or Jelutong
they both are very easy to work with...SmileSmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:14pm
welcome ben.......good to see a few of your lures and how you progress....its all fun mate with plenty of genuine advice given here by the majority......nice PB cod...love those fish.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:46pm
Ben welcome !! someone l know , you'll find this a great site plenty of info and good people willing to give advice !   cheers wrapper
and oog l dont think Ben needs any of my spinnerbaits he makes his own "mancraft spinnerbaits" l still have one of his that he sold me on its card hanging in my  collection Wink
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:30am
Lawless I have over the last 24 years earned the name by stopping my husband from going fishing on his desired days. We own and run a caravan park at Glenlyon Dam and customers come first. On days when I have cabins to clean, he goes afterwards. He makes a show of asking me but I know if he badly wanted to go Brian would just go. He went up the Seven River near the junction yesterday and took Terry Marshall (Garra Lures) with him in the canoe. Brian caught 2 small cod on a surface lure smaller version to your Kingfisher jointed. I sell them too.
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:34am
welcome Lawless , you won't find a better bunch of blokes that are on here , very nice cod one day I hope to catch one like that ,
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:40pm
Oh yes, that's the type of cod we all ant to catch - and on a surface lure - it must have caused a whirlpool. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:39pm
LOLDebbie I love the name you are using 'handbrake'.Clap 
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:36pm
Good to here Darby as I have a steady supply of offcuts and I have a new addiction with surface fishing for cod.  I am keen to experiment with some cup face poppers as I think that the hook up rate is higher due to the slack line after a bloop allowing the lure to be inhaled. This is a photo of my PB surface fish caught on new years day this year.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:04pm
Gee Thanks Steve. Ok heres the low down on Eucalyptus regnans, usually refered to as Mountain ash and Victorian ash.  E. regnans occurs abundantly in eastern Victoria and Tasmania.
Density. 675-770 kg/m3 at 12% moisture content
Hardness. Firm to moderately hard (rated 3 and 4 on a 6 class scale) in relation to indentation and ease of working with hand tools.

Machining. Machines and turns well to a smooth surface.

Fixing. No difficulty has been experienced with the use of standard fittings and fastenings.

Gluing. Can be bonded satisfactorily using standard procedures.

Finishing. Will readily accept stain, polish and paint.

Generally hard to hand carve with a blade, but can be effectively shaped with a rasp and sands readily.

Turns easily, so quite suitable for poppers and symetrical shaped divers.

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:03pm
Welcome to the site Ben, be good to see some f your finished products and some of your captures. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:44pm
Welcome Lawless. Check out this site for 'Data on Timber" Sept 2011 could answer your questions.
I don't make lures but like a lot of women, are getting involved in collecting. Debbie D
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:35am
Take a look here  http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/what-the-hell-is-happening-with-my-paint_topic4377.html
I had heaps  of problems with Pine , I will never use it again . I like White Beech , then Cedar for making my lures .
I like pretty painted sticks
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:25am
oogs definately cod lures, both diving and surface, but I also like to chase redfin yellowbelly and trout.  Just about all the freshwater species on offer around hereWink
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:22am
Welcome Lawless, I'm guessing by your location Cod Lures would be the order of the day, also the home of the famous Wrapper Baits by Mr Barker.
Pine has a habit of splitting if water can penetrate beneath the paint. I find in most cases it happens with Lures painted and bibs glued in last. I have used it on Lures with bibs glued in first and then dipped six or eight times in undercoat, and a couple of coats of clear over the top colour.

I'll let Brad answer your Mountain Ash question LOL I have used it for display lures only.

Regards Steve
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:19am
Thanks Barny that was the exact sort of information that I was after. 
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 7:13am
G'day Ben and welcome to the forumSmile

You can use almost any timber to make lures.
Pine is fine , just not as durable or water/rot resistant as other timbers like cedar , beech etc.
Cypress pine and Hoop pine are probably better then slash pine.
Still , you can seal your bodies with thinned epoxy before priming and painting , and the lures would last sufficient for private use/lures for your matesSmile

l have a couple of old lures that were definitely made of 'pine'. All have been chewed by fish. Some the paint has peeled off [poor priming/undercoating] , others have held together better [better undercoating/priming].

Mountain 'ash' , lm guessing its what may be 'Victorian Ash' found in timber yards/hardware stores?
Vic ash is fine for lures , some planks are 'hard' and some softer. Run your thumbnail across the grain and if it leaves an indent its probably good to carve/shape for lures. You can also rap the timber with your knucklesLOL you will learn that a higher pitch sound equals hard timber..... a lower , duller sound generally means a softer plank.

Look forward to seeing your creations ,

Barney.
Lawless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 6:28am
G'day I am new to the site, I have had a good look around and am truly inspired to get out there and start making a few hardbody lures again.  I have made a few lures in the past and really had mixed results but still enjoyed the process.  I have a few basic questions about timber that I have not found answers to which I am sure that other people may want to know as well. 

The first question is about the use of pine for making lures, it is readilly available and simple to work with but I would like to know why it is not a timber that is used very often.

Second I have some access to large amounts of maountain ash offcuts, is it a suitable hardwood to use for making lures?

I mainly try to use off cuts at the moment to make my lure bodies because I enjoy the fact that I can make something out of the scraps that are normally thrown away.  I look forward to hearing your replies
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic