LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perfect eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perfect eyes
    Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 12:59am
Can any of you fellas let me know what you use so I can get the perfect eyes . Been using cotton buds , ok with smaller eyes . But for larger . Tried a few things but it's just not happening . Using the small model paint tins .... But it could be a shaky hand ...... Cheers Aaron
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:52am

Aaron , different sized bits of cheap paintbrushes , thinned paint , and practiceSmile

l get shaky hand all the time...LOLLOLLOL

Barney.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 6:47am
Fletch a pencil with an eraser on the end works well, nice to use and cleans up well.Lofty
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:49am

will give the brushes a go and it looks like i will be raiding the kids pencil cases ........thanks aaron

Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:22am
Aaron, I use a chopped off paintbrush handle or piece of dowel, then chamfer the edge.
The trick is to have the paint at the right consistency, which can vary depending on temperature.

Part 3 of my lure making article has some info. 

Cheers

Travers

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 11:40am
Eyes, circle, dots
came across these, thought they could be used to secure weights in poppers (with eyes as a bonus)may also have an application for eyes  on lures,sufficient colours , sizes and depth.
Two different types and colours
regards John
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 12:34pm
Arron- as Lofty and Powelly say--the trick is paint consistancy and to place a blob of paint rather than a dot, this blob flattens out to a perfect circle when it dries.
Pete
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:06pm
Stick on eyes from fly tying places?

You can get bubble eyes, or flat prism ones too.

Steve

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:29pm
Depending on how I feel, I use the paintbrush stick like Travers, BUT if I want flat eyes, I use runny paint, if I want a 3D effect I use paint that is quite thick and it leaves a raised dome for an eye, which overcoated with a blob of resin makes the eye stand OUT from the body.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:31pm
Photos Darb Smile
Barney.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 5:39pm

Big smile

Big smile

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:36pm
Thanks for this . Will be giving them all a try ... But will have to see how the shaky hand goes ........ Cheers Aaron
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:48pm
a little bourbon helps to steady the handWinkLOL
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 7:11am
Hi Aaron,
you could go to a place where they make vinyl stickers and get a few pieces of scrap left overs in the colours then but a small set of wad punches a couple of whacks and hey presto perfect eyes .
Regards Darcy.

Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 11:52am
Fletch what size are you thinking of in the large eyes?

Tincan
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic