LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > John Daniels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another lure maker: John Daniels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another lure maker: John Daniels
    Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 3:53pm
can't find him here so here are some pics
John Daniels, lures should be out there,,,,,

regards George

Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 5:23pm
Great find George, be nice to know a bit more about him, where is he from? Interesting T-shirt, from around the time the great Nile Perch debate was raging. Would this age this to late 70's early 80's?
Would think he'd be a Qlder going by the lure styles and wearing that T-shirt. Can't quite make out if the shirt is 'for' or 'against' the introduction, due to photo angle. Thanks for posting.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 5:47pm
A great friend of Vic McCristals and ANSA supporter
The Journey is the Reward

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 6:38pm
very good to know that he is known
just looking for the book i took the pics from (had the pics on the puta for a while) and will get a publish date at least

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 6:58pm
Rigby's book 81
but i dear say pics are earliere
there is other pics of making your own snap clips and to twist eyelets
was just a nail through a piece of wood you put the wire around and twist
he was talking about making a swayback type lure but cannot find a pick

regards George
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 8:30pm

Really interesting    George

Some nice metal bib lures there and appears thin metal

regards John

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 11:26pm

John was involved in ANSA in Queensland before he shifted to Adelaide for work. He was here for some years and I had the pleasure of introducing to SA Surf and Snapper fishing. He shifted back I think to Cairns for work and I lost touch with him. Sadly during my visit with Vic McCrital I found out that John had passed away several years ago. Sad news. John knew how to wind me up and it was many a challenge that he set me that pushed me to new achievments. He is responsible for my luremaking challenge in the early days, and I see in the black and white photos several prized lures he actually gave me. He was a skilled lure maker and I am lucky to still have a few of his lures. He is a person that I can feel lucky to have rubbed shoulders with.

John with a Parsons Beach Mulloway

John with a couple of Local Snapper.

Some good memories.
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 7:15am
Sad news,,,

thanks for the pics great to see
regards George
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 9:20am
Amazing what history this site drags up.
great pics and memories for you bill.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 10:15am
Thanks for sharing the article with us George Thumbs Up John's lures look great.

Sorry to hear that John has passed on Bill 
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2011 at 8:53pm
I sorted through some lures and found these lures made by John.
Billj

micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:19pm
Chasing some opinions fella's , anyone agree that this mystery of mine looks like the top right lure in the fifth black and white photo down from the top ?

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:26pm
Very close resemblance Mick!
cheers steiny
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:29pm
That makes it easier to compare, has to be a Daniels , doesn't it ?
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:30pm
Certainly does Mick, you may have solved the mystery!! 
Fysshe
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:34pm
NewYearClapClapClapClap
2RODS View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2RODS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:25pm
I wonder if it his signature that stieny and I have on a few lures and are trying to ID... it looks like a D in it?
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:13am
I'll have to drag out my 'unknowns' box again, some Moller influence on some in the early 70's black/white photos. Did notice on a couple he paints a 'mouth', just ahead of the bib, this maybe a clue to any out there. Another NQ barra maker to find, love the chase.
Seaweed.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:41am
Damn, wish the photo was in colour, I reckon there's a lot of Johns lures out there in 'unknown' piles

The shapes are close to stuff I have, but the paint style and colour combinations would be a clincher
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:53pm
My understanding is that John was originally from Brisbane and that is where he made his lures not NQ. He was I understand a member of the the Brisbane Sportfishing Club  and heavily involved in ANSA and shifted to Adelaide where he became State President for a while. He certainly was a great friend of Vic McCristal and used to head north from Brisbane to fish along with  Mick Dohnt who I think was ANSA recorder Queensland. The photo in the magazine I reckon was taken in his shed in Morphettvale SA. That was as I remember it on the night we first met. As I said before those lures were the starting point of my efforts. He gave me 2 Mollers and a John Osullivan lure which I verified when I visited John Osullivan recently with Cranky.  He also gave me an old Heddon tiger which I still have and that lure greatly impressed me. He wrote a number of articles in fishing magazines. We fished together in Adelaide for a number of years enjoying a Saturday afternoon in my Whaler catching snapper and listening to football. He wrote an article called Footy Season Reds Based on those trips.I think he went to Cairns after he left Adelaide.

Billj
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:16am
Thanks for the update Bill, sounded like an interesting chap. Going by that lure wall photo, there certainly would be a few 'unknowns' out there, looks like Adelaide markets may be a starter.
Shame the early makers didn't sign their lures, I've unearthed a couple who could be contenders, however, never know for sure. Did you spot that 'mouth' painted on the Moller lookalike in the pics? I think John O'Sullivan did same, on lures Moller style of his I've seen.
Seaweed.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:49am
Tony, I don't think that John was a prolific lure maker in Brisbane
 mainly made for his own use, but did collect a few. Many on that wall could be other maker's lures, some would have been from people that only made a few in Brisbane. Wasn't over fussed by finish more worried about action. I doubt that there would be any in Adelaide I don't think he made many if any here, there would only be one person who may have some . I might follow that up.
The Blue salmon he caught on one of my early lures that he took on his yearly trip to Queensland from Adelaide,
billj
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2015 at 7:18pm
I feel pretty confident in labeling this lure I got off Capt Cranky as a Daniel's lure (3rd black and whitre photo above the black striped tiger). All of the dimensions, the eyes, and looks like the wire are the same.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic