LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curving lure bibs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curving lure bibs
    Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
I love the look of the classic curved aluminium bibs on a lot of bluewater lures and others, particularly the c lures cooktown tiger patterns I assume for better stability at faster trolling speeds. How is the curve achieved with consistency as well as keeping the end straight to fit into the bib slot? 
I've tried shaping beteen two peices of pipe halved but getting very inconsistent results. I'm thinking i need some kind of press. if someone could shed some light on how they do it I would really appreciate that. 
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:51pm
Not too difficult to curve bibs, I made these up mid 80's and still going strong. Just round bar and steel pipe, handy if you have access to a lathe. I just cut out shape I want and place in half pipe and hit the dolly with a hammer. Then place bottom half of bib in vice to flatten. I use aluminium alloy 1mm for most of my bibs.

Fysshe
Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 7:58pm
[QUOTE=Fysshe Salmon] Not too difficult to curve bibs, I made these up mid 80's and still going strong. Just round bar and steel pipe, handy if you have access to a lathe. I just cut out shape I want and place in half pipe and hit the dolly with a hammer. Then place bottom half of bib in vice to flatten. I use aluminium alloy 1mm for most of my bibs.

Very much appreciated, I’ve had some other high level expert guidance along the same lines which has set me straight, looks like the next 20 or so lures are all going to be wearing curved bibs for sure. I just love the look of them mostly but also the functionality. thanks again
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 7:36am
I’m also a big fan of the “old skool” curved aluminium bib. 
Have fun playing with the bibs. Hope they all swim fantastic for you. 

Dan

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic