LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having another go after 30 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 1:12pm

2nd cast and its lost Dead
The timber I used is really dense and therefore it was a sinking lure. 
Never been a fan of sinking lures.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 3:26pm
in the lake? haven't fished there for years. caught good yellas and the biggest silvers i ever seen out of that lake. how is it fishing now. . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2022 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

in the lake? haven't fished there for years. caught good yellas and the biggest silvers i ever seen out of that lake. how is it fishing now. . .mick

Sorry Mick, I forgot to let you know the Lake is 100% full! We had a flood here a couple of months ago.
The water quality is good despite acres of scrub now under water and decomposing.
I heard bass and yellas were being caught on shrimp when they were letting water in.

My little kids and I caught heaps of Spangleds in January. I kept some for the shrimp traps and they were all full of eggs.

I went in the kayak mid-morning today for 2 hours casting lures near the wall but didn't get a hit.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 5:20pm
Another 2 finished, made from Silky Oak.
The painted one is identical to the one I lost except for the type of timber and the addition of glitter paint.
I did some wood burning (pyrography) on the nude. I used a cheap Bunnings set which is basically a soldering iron with screw-in tips. I'm happy with how it looks.
I'll give them a swim tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned that the bib is too large on the nude.....

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 7:24am
The best way to find out about that big bibbed lure- trial and error. Good on you for giving it a go
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 7:57pm
Neither of them swam very well. They sort of "bobbed" around when being retrieved.
Maybe the metal bib is too heavy for such small lures? Dunno..... 
All part of learning I guess.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 4:59am
keep them , might be ok for the rivers, surface fishing. . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:21am
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

keep them , might be ok for the rivers, surface fishing. . .mick

That's what I thought too. 
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:27am
BASS ..... I used to purposely "bob" lures very slowly on the surface for bass in amongst the snags - rod tip held high and just twitch the lure go fish the same spot as a non retrieve fishing style.
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Chep Buxley Chep Buxley wrote:

Onto my next attempt of lure making. A bloke at work gave me this timber. Does anyone recognise what sort it is? It's certainly hard - it bent my Jigsaw blade trying to cut it.

It's finished now, time to give it a swim.

could be Tassie oak,looks good something will eat that
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 9:20am
Looks like merbau (spelling?) , a decking timber, if so it is heavy and the lure will sink like a rock. Because it bent your jigsaw blade, that is an indication that it is a dense and heavy timber.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:09am
Ok, this is where I am up to.
These 3 with the tow point on the body do not swim. I suspect the tow point isn't close enough to the bib. I'm thinking of removing the bib, cutting off the tow point and replacing the bib with one which has the tow point included.

The purple one below is a copy of the nude I made 30 years ago and it swims like a beauty. (Thank you Richard for the Red Cedar). I always feel guilty painting over such nice wood. 
Having the tow point on the bib seems to work every time.

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 10:21am
With the body towed ones, definitely try bending the tow points down, first.
They are nice little shapes and I'd expect them to wiggle with a bit of tuning.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2022 at 1:21pm
Nose towed lures can be tricky to get the balance right. Certainly move down or reposition next time to a lower level will help alot. A piece of 2"x1" will swim ok with towed from bib set upWink. Yes that Red Cedar always comes out nice! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:33am
I took the advice regarding bending the eyelets closer to the bib. It worked for the multicoloured one but not for the other two. I had to cut off the eyelet on them and slot the bibs. Now they all swim great! Thanks very much guys!

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 5:16pm
Great that they work for you- gotta be happy with that.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 2:18pm
I've tried a different shape with this one. 
It swims with a VERY wide side to side motion at really slow speed and blows out of the water if I retrieve any faster.
Do you think the bib is too big?
Is there any way to stop it swaying so much? 
Add a sinker to the belly maybe?

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 2:40pm
leave it and use it as it is , good cod lure by the sounds of it. . . .mick
Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 3:05pm
I reckon the bibs spot on but the nose tow is too far below the centre of gravity.  My guess from casual observing is that if the middle of the tow point lines up just below the lure eye or thereabouts it will work a treat. Adding weight will lower the centre of gravity and make more stable but where the tow point is currently, the centre of gravity would still be well above the pull point once the bib starts imparting action. I usually make bluewater lures so i try to get the tow point slightly below the centre of balance for a tight high frequency action but the closer you get to centre, the less action, to the point where it will buck longitudinally rather than wobble side to side. That set up you have could possibly work if the lure was half as wide but same depth but I'm guessing that too, all experimentation. 
Despite all this, I still get a lure where all looks fine and it still doesnt work and vice versa where one looks like it shouldnt swim but still does. So many other variables like wood density, drag coefficients, distance from end of bib to tow point, width of bib etc. but that lure looks a ripper if you can get the balance right. 
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 5:25pm
I think Rivoli is on to how the tow point impact your good looking Lure Thumbs Up
You cud try bend the towpoint a bit upwards to see how it goes then
It cud maybe give an idea on how much you need to level it compared to the centerline 
Keep up the good work, and I am sure you get there 

Knaek & Break 
           Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 6:10pm
maybe try a clip , instead of tying direct or bending. . . .mick
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 9:37pm

Onto my next attempt of lure making. A bloke at work gave me this timber. Does anyone recognise what sort it is? It's certainly hard - it bent my Jigsaw blade trying to cut it.

It's finished now, time to give it a swim.

Looks like tasmanian oak mateWink
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 9:12pm
I've bent the tow point up as far as I could and it swims better now. I'll think it will be ok.
There is such a fine line between having it low enough but not too low.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 12:02am
your tow point was too low on a lure with a bib at that angle but it sounds like your figuring it out,you never stop learning with luremakingWink.i still recon its a nice lureThumbs Up
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 4:35pm
Here's an update on the lures I've made lately.

The one at the top I've shown previously. The tow eyelet is now lower making it swim better. 
It has a very wide swimming action. I thought it might be caused by the curve in the belly. 

I wanted one with a tighter action so I made the middle one that has a straight belly.
It too has a very wide swimming action so it's not the curve. (It could be the different bib too.)

For the bottom one I thought I'd make it as straight as I dared. It swims really well but quite wide too but I blame the wide bib for that.

If nothing else, my painting has improved a bit. Still use those $5 spray cans.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 4:41pm
I went back and had a look at the first crappy one I made last year out of pine.
I thought " It doesn't look too bad. I'll try cutting off the eyelet and moving it down".
The damn thing swims fantastic. Great tight action. Exactly what I want on the other lures!!!!
AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHHH

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2022 at 4:42pm
They now have their own box.
Lures are soooooooooo frustrating to make.
But I love it.......

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:47am
The latest one I've made. If the shape looks familiar it's because Richard Lee sent me some timber with his templates drawn on them. I'm very grateful. I only hope I've done it some justice.
I knew straight away I wasn't painting this one.

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 10:56am
Looks real smick Shane. One for the cabinet?? Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 4:25pm
Nice nude, it would have been a shame to paint that one.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Looks real smick Shane. One for the cabinet?? Cheers Richard

That's what I was thinking!
I have a corkboard with special ones hanging on it in the man cave.
There are 2 of your nude red cedars on it
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 9:20pm
It was too tempting. I had to know if the nude swam. 
I took the kids down to the lake after school. 
While they were magnet fishing I gave it a few casts. 
Very happy with the result..

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:48pm

It was too tempting. I had to know if the nude swam. 
I took the kids down to the lake after school. 
While they were magnet fishing I gave it a few casts. 
Very happy with the result..

So that would have given you a lot of confidence and knowledge in making more lures?
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 6:20am
Definately has Martin
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 5:32pm
My 5 year son wanted another lure for his tackle box.
He enjoyed painting it and is keen to try it out on the weekend.
The more I look at it, the more I like the paint job. I'm calling it "Random Camo".

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic