LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krewfische

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Krewfische
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:21pm
Here are a few Krewfische that I've made, thought I would share.
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:28pm
Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 10:51am
Great work, love the detail.

Cheers Sav
Sav63[/
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 7:09pm
Really like them!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 8:54am
lovely little lures,I was with Ollie Hardt a few weeks ago when he caught a decent trout on one CharlesThumbs Up.you certainly make a good lureClap
that's no how ye make porridge!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 1:51pm
I appreciate that, thank you. I'm working on a few currently. I'll post some more photographs along the way. Finally purchased an airbrush, time to give these can get a decent paint job.

Glad you like them Chris, and I hear your the proud owner of one as well. Ollie mentioned the trip, and that a few cod took interest in these. Unfortunately I ran out of split rings and hooks on the batch I posted, guess those little hooks weren't large enough?

Think it was a motley of nudes I made Ollie it was way too cold to get out the rattle cans. Since then I've improved the design and aesthetics. Still experimenting with all the hardware, seems there is no end to the variations. The laminates do really well as they contain a lead ball rattle, but are more work to make. The ones I'm holding above are aromatic cedar sandwiches between mahogany. The oreo colored ones are ipe and poplar which are temperamental and like to hunt. After reading a number of posts that ipe is unsuitable to make lures I had to make a few haha. Currently have a penchant for mahogony as carves so beautifully.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 6:49pm
Wow they are amazing. Great work.
Dan
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by ArdentAngler ArdentAngler wrote:

I appreciate that, thank you. I'm working on a few currently. I'll post some more photographs along the way. Finally purchased an airbrush, time to give these can get a decent paint job.

Glad you like them Chris, and I hear your the proud owner of one as well. Ollie mentioned the trip, and that a few cod took interest in these. Unfortunately I ran out of split rings and hooks on the batch I posted, guess those little hooks weren't large enough?

Think it was a motley of nudes I made Ollie it was way too cold to get out the rattle cans. Since then I've improved the design and aesthetics. Still experimenting with all the hardware, seems there is no end to the variations. The laminates do really well as they contain a lead ball rattle, but are more work to make. The ones I'm holding above are aromatic cedar sandwiches between mahogany. The oreo colored ones are ipe and poplar which are temperamental and like to hunt. After reading a number of posts that ipe is unsuitable to make lures I had to make a few haha. Currently have a penchant for mahogony as carves so beautifully.
the ones you sent Ollie were pretty darned good!,there is a lot of work carving these (ive carved this style myself),i take my hat off to you.When things warm up here again i'll catch some Bass on the one Ollie gave meThumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2019 at 10:53pm
Chris, that means a lot coming from you. The lures you make require great skill and imagination to project themselves from wood.

Personally they weren't up to my snuff and I wish that I did a better job. I'm new to this avocation and still very green behind the ears. There is much for me to learn and I've only been at this a few months,but I'm growing from experience.

I will dig about and see if I still have the pictures of that batch, if not maybe Ollie will post his up later. I take bloody awful pictures, and it's hard to see the details.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 11:23am

How a laminate Krewfische progresses. The wood is aromatic eastern red cedar from a fell tree and the center is mahogony. Inside is a lead ball which adds as a weight/rattle. A time consuming process well worth the effort. I do my best to capture the ideal character of the wood such as knots and grain. Fortunately I had this glued and prepped for the bandsaw. Later in the week I will go in more depth and showcase this process as it is quite a headache.

The fallen tree was cut into manageable logs and run through a ryobi 9"bandsaw. This little champ has real mojo and works past its factory limits. I ripped 1/4" planks and proceeded to hand sanded these smooth and square. If only I had a planer...or a table saw. Very few of my lures are made with purchased stock, or perfectly square boards. Occasionally I'll receive some scraps such as mahogony or white cedar, but it goes quick.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:17am
Carved and almost ready for the first coat of sealer.
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:49pm
omg love the work you do  buy some  chance can i get two yabbies at some stage  please cheers keep smiling
brendan t

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:19pm
A bit out of order with the photos, mea culpa.

So far this is the fruition of a couple weeks work. As Chris mentioned its alot of carving and slow progress, but I find it rewarding. Looking forward to using an airbrush on a few, don't think I'll miss rattle cans.

After receiving numerous requests I will do my best to make extras, just PM me if your interested.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 6:20pm
these are beautiful Charles ,love the different colored timbersThumbs Up
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2019 at 8:34pm
Wow, they look amazing! Clap

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2019 at 12:27pm
I appreciate that, thanks.

This laminate is poplar and ipe " Brazilian walnut" not sure what the density is, but this stuff is rock hard and heavy. Absolutely love how well it casts, and the rattle has a loud knock. Constructing these are a constant vexation. Had a field day ripping the material on the bandsaw.
edzard View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Ollie's Stingrays

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 6:56am
Having received some of these beautiful lures from Charles and fished them, they’re fantastic, the nice natural wood colours present well in clear water. Having caught Trout on these and just missing out on some Cod(didn’t have larger hooks with me) I’am sure they’ll account for plenty of other species.
And don’t be to hard on yourself Charles for someone who has only made lures for a short period of time you do a great job, always amazed even meeting new lure makers at the recent Lure Expo, lure makers creating great lures for the amount of time making them.
Charles I hope you didn’t mind me giving a krewfish Lure to Chris, you had send me so many I had to share them with someone👍😃
Keep up the great work, your lures etc are on there way soon.
Ollie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 8:13am
Ollie ol chap you are too kind. Having high expectations only improves the quality in a strange way. Besides how will I improve if the bar never moves?

Don't mind at all, it had a serendipitous outcome. Chris is due a set of his own, hopefully he puts these through the gauntlet of species so we can be sure they work?

Got a few aside for you as well, and yes, they will all have proper hooks and split rings....I made sure to order them this time.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:02am
Thought I would give a peekaboo after applying a couple coats of helmsman valspar. The grain really leaps out now, hard to see everything in these photographs. Using an outdated camera, so no judgment.

Honestly Chris I'm a bit jealous of these, if you change your mind I'll keep em

Also made some yabbie keychains for a couple of ladies, they look sharp. Never crossed my mind to make a keychain before.
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 10:06am
brilliant work ,the different timbers have some awesome patterns in them 
it a lot better world if you just smile
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by ArdentAngler ArdentAngler wrote:

Thought I would give a peekaboo after applying a couple coats of helmsman valspar. The grain really leaps out now, hard to see everything in these photographs. Using an outdated camera, so no judgment.

Honestly Chris I'm a bit jealous of these, if you change your mind I'll keep em

Also made some yabbie keychains for a couple of ladies, they look sharp. Never crossed my mind to make a keychain before.
oh no i want them Charles!Big smile.i better start making some lures for youSmile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 10:59am
Here are a few more krewfische laminates. Mahogony binding in between aromatic Easter red cedar. Haven't tried this before and rather excited to see how they turn out.
The other three laminates are eastern red and poplar, and one with a mahogony center. Finally two solid Eastern reds, and an oak.

Personally not a fan of oak, it tend to be chewy to carve and unforgiving. The action is erratic and hardly ever tracks in a straight line.

No Danny I didn't overlook your request, let me know what you think of these once I get a coat of Helmsman spar on these.

Also wanted to show that mistakes happen, some can be covered up, but drilling on through is game over. These usually end up in the circular filing cabinet(TRASH CAN) may be I'll salvage these?
wickky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm
Awesome mate! Just stunning.

Maybe just turn the mistakes into the keychains?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm
Looking real good, very nice
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 4:57am
So far five carved, and the first coat has been applied. The mahogony is gorgeous, the color bares a resemblance to a natural crawfish. Going to try the new bibs on a few of these, hoping to replicate the results of a few testers. If so these will swim better than Michael Phelps.

The keychains were meant to be a one time gift, but chances are I'll be making more in the future.

Wicks
you are probably right, but I'm WAY too picky when it comes down to blemishes and booboos. Not sure of people really care all that much, but in my mind they do.

Thanks Martin, haven't heard from you in a bit.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2019 at 5:22am
You make some really nice crawfish ClapClap
Thanks fore sharing Thumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 9:13am
Your welcome, I started to feel left out with all the amazing lures you guys make and show. Plus you have have to start somewhere, surely many get inspired by reading the posts on here.

As for some pictures, well it slipped my mind after putting on another coat.

Here's a haphazard shot of them hanging, and a few photographs prior to sealing. Like I mentioned a slow going carving, but they are getting there. An investment in a turner would be wise....some day.

On the rack starting left Cedar binding and poplar.
2nd in is Mahogony and cedar.
3rd ipe and poplar
4th another cedar and mahogany and finally a second cedar/poplar.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 12:53pm
Your right there about inspiration. Every time I see cray lures it kicks me in the ass to finish the couple that I cut and started carving over 12 months ago. They are more a baker cray style so I definitely appreciate the time you've put into these.
Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 2:10pm
Danny,
I am very fortunate to have stumbled on this site, and along the way met some great people. Though it may be passing conversation, I appreciate all the gratitude given to me, but its hard to accept when you set the bar so high. Personally I don't feel my lures are that great, my time is spent scrutinizing over details and mistakes in some attempt to improve their quality. DoiNg my best to provide a top notch lure that speaks for itself. The glory for me is having people recognize the effort. Ollie is a great friend, and often reminds me that I get carried away in this. Essentially I'm striving to be on par with the work that I admire, not trying to best anyone, simply prove to myself that I can do it.

Inspiration comes in many flavors and works in mysterious ways, what spurs you on is the key. Buy the ticket and take the ride, as Hunter S Thompson would say. The gentleman who have helped along the way are due for some long overdue reciprocity. Roughly seven years ago I received lures and tips from a handful of very influential people that I admired. I'm slowly working my way back to all of them.

Ollie Hardt
Darcy Mencho
Travers Powell
Dieter
Verlon Caudill
Allan Sloman
Pete Raynar
If any of these guys read this, send me a message already as I have some lures for ya!

As for your cray lures Danny, its never too late. Seven years late to the game for me, if that helps?

Regards
Charles

Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 10:46pm
Everything you’ve said echos through me also. Without the knowledge and kindness of the people on this forum I wouldn’t have been able to make and develop the knowledge and skills I have to make something that I can be truly proud of, so to those people, thank you.
Dan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
Just took these off the rack to grab a better photograph.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 6:48pm
these guys came up nice Charles did you use the valspar?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 10:31pm
Are you sure you haven't reached the top bar yet? To me your work is excellentClap

You will be hearing a little more from me again now that my road tripping is over for a little while. In the mean time I'll just enjoy reading your next posts and photos.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:02am
Quite sure, besides I would have less anxiety making these, haha.

Chris, you are correct. These all received the Helmsman valspar treatment. You still sure you want this ratty ol' lure, it's got a big ugly spot on it?? Last chance mate, think it should stay here with me.
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 11:11am
If neither of you guys want it...............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic