Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > L. White
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Back to the L White lure.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to the L White lure.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:03pm
It has Diver also under the bib.

The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 4:15pm
Wow that's a very striking lure Barry, and looks like it might be a bit of a Barra magnet too - I hope we can find out who Mr White is!

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 6:43pm
L White is Laurie White who resided in Caloundra area, unsure if he is still with us. A mate of mine's father used to be in the same fishing club as Laurie.
I have this one that I came across a while back and my mate Steve was able to ID it without seeing the signature.

and the only other one I have seen pics of, same size and shape as mine, different colour

Cheers Darbs

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 7:47pm
Thanks Darby Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:00pm
SWEET hand carved  magic  love the stuff.........REGARDS     BOBClapClapCoolCoolCoolCoolCool
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:07pm
Bob, apparently he made most of his lures for himself and his mates in the fishing club, from the looks of his lures I see influences from Dempster and Moller, I often wonder if some of these guys actually met or corresponded at some point.

Darbs

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2010 at 10:21pm
Your idea on the influences sounds like a real possibility to me Darby - Laurie's lures certainly seem to share a lot of traits with the FNQ Tigers, and whether they were the source of inspiration or not the lures look fantastic! (I think I need to find one now thanks to Barry and yourself!) ConfusedLOL

Cheers, Tony

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 6:36am
Thanks Darby for the info.Much appreciated.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 9:46am
THANKS DARBY these lures  are pure Q.L.D goldBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileClapClap
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:32am
Darby, that bottom one I can proudly state is mine, found it along with a couple of mint Gallo's, a lucky day indeed. Thanks for the bio on Laurie, Tony.
Regards, Tony (Darwin, NT).
"Always Merry and Bright"
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 10:56am
toney pearcey here i remember walking into a tackle shop in mackay hoping to sell some of my lures about about 28 years ago, they looked at my lures then walked me over to somes lures on the shelf and said when you get them as good as theses come back and see us they were called whites lures, i never did go back, i did know he used to travel up north selling his lures to pay for his fishing trips,and his lures were spectacular, pearcey
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 3:59pm
Pearcey, nice to here from you, I've caught numerous barra here in the NT on your small 8cm minnow,
great little lures picked them up in MO Coffs, must have been 20yrs. ago. Caught so many on two, had to re-aryldite the bibs.
Thought they were timber until Steve (Oogs Lures), put me straight. Now another quest to find one of your original timbers.
Regards, Tony (Darwin, NT).

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 10:42am
hello tony, ive been thinking about making some lures again and when i do i will send you a few wooden ones, your certainly in the right place mate, love to be there myself but we do catch a few fish here on the gold coast, what about those big barra in the dams now, a lot anglers dont go bass fishing much anymore as those big barra are only a five hour drive from brisbane, thanks for the compliment about the lures mate, reguards pearcey
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 6:56pm
Pearcey, I've never fished for dam barra, one day in FNQ I hope. Most of my barra, threadfin and jack fishing over 25yrs. done in Darwin harbour, until the bastards started pouring raw sewerage into it, I've gone right off it.
If you get back into the timbers, here are what I'll trade you.
Regards, Tony.
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 8:53am
wow toneyTonguethey look fanastic, better sharpen up on my airbrush skills to keep up mate and i would surely trade some of mine for some of those creations, how many of mine will you take for one ha ha pearcey
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:42pm
Just a heads up .I was speaking with a fellow today re White lures and he said he new him quite well while in Brissie.His first name is Lionel  so maybe Darby can shed some light on this as he thought his name was Laurie.Help

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:11pm
hhmmmm...will have to ask my mate Steve if he can dig a bit deeper in the info pile.

Brad

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:16pm
Love that black n white number!
cheers steiny
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 11:33pm
Hi all, Lional White was a Townsville cabinet maker early 80`s to mid 80`s.Made a very nice lure,usually stamped LW under bib.I`ve replied on previous posts re L.White but was only to assume it was someone else as they said Laurie. So is this LW the same guy from `80s?? Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:48am
Yes it is Richard.The fellow I spoke with was an apprentice Cabinet Maker and Lionel moved into the shed next to where he workedThey got talking in the lunch break only to find that they both were interested in making lures.lionel had not made lures up till then for quite a long time but after the talk they had he rekindled his passion so to speak.He resides in Townsville somewhere.

rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 8:24am
Thanks for that Barry, on this sad day. Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 8:52am
I was going through my old lures found this early one that I made in Nambour.
Lionel
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

L White is Laurie White who resided in Caloundra area, unsure if he is still with us. A mate of mine's father used to be in the same fishing club as Laurie.
I have this one that I came across a while back and my mate Steve was able to ID it without seeing the signature.

and the only other one I have seen pics of, same size and shape as mine, different colour

Cheers Darbs

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 6:44pm
Another beautiful lure Lionel,thanks for posting it up.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2012 at 7:16pm
A talent all right - good ones Lionel.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
moorefish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moorefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 1:09am
Hi Lionel,

Do you recognise these lures, I suspect they are your handiwork. Had been trying to get an ID on them for a while. My father gave them to me, must be close to 30 years ago, he worked as a carpenter in Townsville and told me a cabinetmaker gave them to him. First class designs and finish, I think they are right up there with the best.

John
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 6:27am
Yes they are mine, what was you fathers name? There are the same lures I made.

Lionel
moorefish View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moorefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:16am
Thanks Lionel,

My dad is Laurie Moore, he would have been working for Doyle Constructions or maybe just started sub contracting for BM Webb back then. He also did a bit of work with Les McLellen who I think was building some spec homes.
Did you make many lures at that time or were you just mainly making them for your own use ?.

John
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 10:41am
Ok yes I knew Laurie, but can't remember giving him any lures.
I sold them from Nambour to Cairns in most tackle shops.

Originally posted by moorefish moorefish wrote:

Thanks Lionel,

My dad is Laurie Moore, he would have been working for Doyle Constructions or maybe just started sub contracting for BM Webb back then. He also did a bit of work with Les McLellen who I think was building some spec homes.
Did you make many lures at that time or were you just mainly making them for your own use ?.

John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2012 at 11:04am
Lionel, so that yellow one pictured in Darby's post is an 'early' one? Reason I ask is, it's mine, acquired with a couple of Gallo's a few years ago. Looks like the first name 'Laurie' was a furphy, we're definitely seeing a few of your creations surfacing, especially when you state from 'Caloundra up to Cairns', this takes in a lot of tackle outlets. Thanks for the history.
Seaweed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic