LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Luring Cooktown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 50>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 2:43am
Those 2 are definitely good catch Martin.Clap
They are fun to catch and increase  adrenaline till u land them. 

Regard, Raghubir

Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 5:32am
you didn't happen to get a haircut while you were down here? spoke to a spy of mine who saw you at the expo, he said you were still rough around the gillsDeadLOL. no time for a rest hey, straight into the fish, onya big fella. . . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2021 at 8:40am
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

you didn't happen to get a haircut while you were down here? spoke to a spy of mine who saw you at the expo, he said you were still rough around the gillsDeadLOL. no time for a rest hey, straight into the fish, onya big fella. . . .mick

Yes I spoke to Bill at the expo- he said you were too slack to turn up ….. lol.

I went for another session this morning and first tried a sub surface lure- a wake bait. I received plenty of hits with one really strong but brief hook up. It didn’t have a good hook up rate on these flash and slash fish. It will make a great barra lure though.

I went back to a HJK stickbait and got a 41 cm giant trevally, a 53 cm queenfish and two wolf herring before I called it quits- no photos. The change of the tide was 2 hours away and I have too much stuff to do getting ready for the Cooktown barra comp.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
I wrote this in word document yesterday, but only got connectivity today.

This year’s (normally annual) Cooktown barra comp had finished today. Started on Friday morning with weigh in until 1 pm. The competition rules are pretty straight forward – however far you are prepared to travel, weigh in a maximum of 3 barra each with no fish over 90 cm allowed. After the weigh in a secret weight is pulled from a hat and who ever is clostest wins a $30,000 Quintrex boat. Plus there is the mangrove jack section as well with adult and kids prizes for the 3 biggest jacks.

Now Bill C and myself opted for Lakefield National Park as our destination of choice. We have a waterhole that we get to by GPS. That means a healthy stride through the bush and normally I’m up for the task. But earlier this year I twisted my knee (fishing to the same waterhole co-incidently) but that was ok until my quick trip south for the Lure Expo and family commitments. The long drive down with my knee in the same position worsened it to painful level. To add to my level of invalidity, on my trip home my sister and I stayed at my niece’s place last Monday night. I woke up Tuesday morning with a severe bout of virtigo and it comes on if I move my head to it’s extreme ranges. The rest of the time it seems like I have a hang over. So my usual stride through the bush was like the drunken wanderings of abloke who was just in a bar room brawl …. Oh did I mention that I also broke off half of one of my front teeth?

Anyway we got to our waterhole and the usual places that we normally pick up a barra or two just did not happen. We both got a few flashes and short strikes until Bill scored the only barra of the day – a little 48 cm juvenile. The “walk”… or stumble back was painful and took about three times as long. That was a very hard 9 kilometre walk.

Thankfully Bill had some inflammatories in his car so the next morning I was walking better. My sleep for Friday night was actus with my head spinning every time I changed sleeping positions, but ….. hey ….. fishing. Our next waterhole for Saturday was one that we could drive right up to so not much walking right? … Nope, we still walked 9 kilometres that day but at least I wasn’t in as much pain. We both received a lot of flashes and short strikes from half interested fish before Bill worked on further ahead. I was happy to lag behind nursing my hangover like head ache and making sure I didn’t move my head in the wrong way. A short while later Bill called out to me and when I caught up to him, he had a 64 cm barra on the bank (on entry to win the boat) and was unhooking a 46 cm barra. As I was tagging the small barra I looked too far downwards and started going into a spiral, a quick look up stopped that episode and that is how my day was all Saturday – being extremely careful.

We ended the day with Bill – 11 barra (four of these undersized ones he let go without me tagging them because I was too far away from him), and he got another boat entry with a 62 cm fish (legal size for barra in Queensland is 58 cm). His lures of choice were a HJK diving minnow and a Jackall Squirel but he did get one on a Cam Cupitt made sinking swimbait. I ended up with a 49 cm barra on a Gary Akers made deep diver and a 54 cm barra on a HJK stickbait. I hooked onto a nice barra over 60 cm on a Jeff Pollard made “coffin”lure. But this fish headed straight to the snags and swam around and around a floating tree branch and threw the lure then. I have no idea how I managed to pull that branch out of such a large pile of sticks, but I was able to rescue said lure.

On the drive back to camp we tried a couple more places for not even a whiff of a fish. At 5 pm I saw the outside temperature reading on the dash of the car – 38 degrees celcius. That humid heat just kills all energy so we did it tough.We didn’t fish the next morning but headed straight back to Cooky. The boat was won by a local girl whose partner works in The Lure Shop. Her barra weighed in at over 7 kilos and was just 20 grams off the secret weight.

Today (Sunday) is also the last day of the barra season for this year on the eastern side of Cape York. No normally, a week later the barra go nuts and you have to flick your lures away from them as they charge those lures intended for other fishes. 

Fish on HJK LURES

A barra on Gary Aker's lure

Bill C's barra on the Cam Cupitt (Headland Lures) sinking swimbait

I swam a popper made by Mad Dog lures - Dave Hill. It's a sinking popper but it has a great walking action, so it's a sinking, popping stickbait. I can't wait to get this out on the reef.

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 2:39pm
you allways put in the big efforts martin, rewards don't come all the time. no wonder you have vertigo with  all that hair....... get a fkn haircut. . . .mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 2:49pm
AND A BLOODY JOB!

YES IM JEALOUS
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2021 at 3:13pm
what he said. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 4:54am
I have a job. It’s a job not to get vertigo with all that hair……

I don’t feel sybaritic for missing out on weighing in a fish. Many of the top barra fishers in the district did not catch even a small one. There were over 700 competitors but I doubt that half of them weighed ina barra. 

Bill C abd I are already planning for next year’s competition.
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2021 at 5:11am
have you swallowed a dictionary latelyConfused. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 6:43pm

Ha ha ha- that was an autocorrect, it should have said “ so bad”
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Ha ha ha- that was an autocorrect, it should have said “ so bad”

HAHA I WAS THINKING SHIT MARTINS BEEN BRUSHING UP ON THE LINGO!
LOL

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 10:09am
The tarpon abd small giant trevally went nuts this morning for a very short period. I cast out my new Mad Dog popper- and a tern grabs it. By the time I freed the tern and wasted about 40 metres of new braid line most of the action was over. I only landed the one GT at 41 cm.

Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 4:23pm
Looks to be a good Popper. Can get both Birds and Fish LOL

Knaek & Break 
            Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2021 at 7:11pm
Just checked the weather again. The rest of this week was supposed to be great. But current predictions now have that in doubt. May be able to get out for a mackerel run on a Wednesday and/ or Thursday mornings.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm

Well I was watching for a week what last week was going to turn out like. It looked like it was going to be a great week. But, the weather deteriorated closer to the time. Wrong forecasting also  set me wrong as well. I cancelled a couple of day out for a mackerel run because the forecasts changed the day before from an “OK” sort of a day to a rough day – only to go fishing that morning and gaze out onto some reasonable morning weather.

By the time Thursday came around I was going out for my mackerel run. I met Mickey Rat at the boat ramp and we started our troll. The day saw a small 65-70 cm quennfish come on board using a Gil Hopper made Gilhop mackerel lure. I kept this fish to make nummus (I’ll be keeping more in the future, it was awesome). Both Michael and I had a couple of hits but no other hook ups.

On the troll back home using the same Gilhop lure, Michael stated that the lure wasn’t working. Winding in the lure and no resistence. The lure was bitten off – through the 44 pound single strand wire. That was the last event of the day.

On Friday morning Avocado Mick and I headed out. For once the forecast was correct- flat for the first half of the day with the winds coming up later in the day. With such good conditions we hit W.O.T. to the first reef where we started trolling. Nothing happened trolling up the side of this reef and we headed out to the next still trolling. I was hit using a Jeff Pollard made Coffin lure. I fought in a mackerel  tuna from a long troll back only to have it throw the hook next to the boat.

We trolled to another side of this reef that we only tried once before. We drifted over some great ground that should have been alive with fish. We saw very little fish life and very few fish came to the boat and these were only the little reef species. I did have a nice 60 cm + passionfruit trout follow my Ganesy experimental stickbait. It was obvious that it was curious and not hungry. Mick stickbait was directly behind mine and the trout turned around and followed this lure to the boat, only to peel away and disappear. Now trout are normally very shy of boat’s but this one seemed to have been on a learning curve of lures and boats.

We went up this side of this reef to check out a bommie that rises 10 metres from 30 metres of water. Trolling over it using the Coffin lure and I was smashed – then nothing. Up comes half a wire leader again.

We tried a couple of regular shallow reefs that we had previously lured up good trout but nothing. After an hour we decided to call it a day and we started trolling back home. I had on a Ray Murphy made mackerel lure, until it was smashed and the 25 kg braid parted. Seems like a section of line must haveunkowingly contacted a reef previously and chaffed my line.

After wasting quite a few metres of weakened line I attached a K.A.D. made mackerel lure. This scored me a nice mack tuna that I kept to see how that went as nummus (to strong a flavour for me so the rest is going as bait). On went a Kuttafurra made penguin lure. As we trolled past another reef it was smashed with a huge weight load. This fish was going hard – then nothing, up came half a wire trace. Nothing happened for the rest of the trip.

Now when I live bait for mackerel off the Cooktown wharf I use 27 pound single strand wire and had not had it bitten through. I had been using 44 pound single strand and in my last 4 trips I had this wire bitten through 5 times. I saw Nick Stock (from Twin River Lures / Ocean Blue charters now here in Cooktown from Weipa) and spoke to him about it. He stated that it most probably was mega huge mackerel and to use no less then 60 pound single strand wire. Now there must be some huge spanish mackerel around as I have caught many 120 cm plus mackerel on 27 pound wire.

This is a bird eating spider house. That circular web in the middle is about 100 mm - 4 inches round. On a local bush walking track.

My medium sized queenfish on a Gilhop mackerel lure

I caught a couple of small ref fish on this Errol Wishart made Seagull lure

I also caught a few small reefies on this Ganesy lure before I lost it on a bommie. Bugger, I was going to retire it soon as well.

The mack tuna on the K.A.D. lure made by Damian Flannigan.

A couple of quiet days but talking to others, it was the not unusual. There was a bloke taking a survey at the wharf and he said that very few fish were caught as well.

Martin-

Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 10:33am
Your slow days still look pretty good to me Martin. 
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 8:50pm
Hook in Marty 😃👍
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:09am
just get a fkn haircut. . . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:34pm

Sorry this report has taken so long. But as I’ve complained before, our mobile / internet coverage here in Cooktown is very poor and selective.

After going to Brisbane and the (half) Lure Expo, I came back with one of Mad Dog’s poppers. After my first cast and retrieve with this lure I knew it was a winer.This popper sinks, so it’s heavy and great for casting, but it rises to the surface very quickly. It also “walks”as it’s popping on the retrieve. So I knew it was going to be great on the reef. Because I lure fish the shallow reefs, prefering under 2 metres deep, a fast sinking lure often spells disaster.

I tried this popper off the wharf a few times and was getting hit all over the place. The wolf herring and tarpon were thick and beating the more desired species to the lure, the trevally and queenfish were just that little bit too slow.

So last Wednesday when I took Mickey Rat to the reef I had to take this lure along. The fishing was pretty slow but we managed a good trout each. We both lost a couple of good fish but this little popper accounted for a lot of action. A lot of the action for the day was from long toms and barracuda though and this things, if I can help it, do not come on the boat. I don’t like the idea of a thrashing, gnashing, bashing thug with razor sharp teeth in the boat with me especially if I’m trying to release it alive. Unfortunately the mackerel didn’t show up and here I am with my upgraded wire and nothing to put it to the tooth test.

On Thursday I went to pick Avocado Mick (need a new name for him, he no longer works on the avocado farm), but he wasn’t waiting by his normal spot using his closed rubbish bin as a table for his beer. His light wasn’t on so I went up and bashed on his door- no response. I tried calling his phone – it was turned off. After the days fishing I finally got a message from him saying he was pulling out for the day’s trip – 18 hours later (my niece is still waiting for a message I sent her 2 weeks ago even tough my phone says it has been sent).

I went out to the reef on my lonesome. I don’t really mind as sometimes it’s good to fish by yourself, I get to troll 2 lines plus I also get the premium spot on the boat to fish from on the raised fore deck. Smashed out to the first reef then started trolling along the southern edge of it. My big line screams off and I thought I was onto a nice Spanish mackerel until it didn’t perform like on – another barracuda. I’ve got to put a longer handled gaff in my boat to knock the lure out of the mouths of these critters. The idea of one of these suddenly standing on it’s tail slashing teeth and hooks as I’m leaning over the side is not very appealing,.

With that bloke off the hooks I trolled along a little more. I had a jig on a smaller rod as I was prepared for a school of nannygai to show up on the sounder. I found a lot of baitfish schools over some nice deep reef so I dropped the jig down over one of these schools. Soon I pulled up a little bar cheeked trout. As it neared the surface a (bloody) barracuda slashes it. This little dude suddenly stopped fightingas the wound took the fight out of him. I still tagged this him and nursed him upon release until it swam away but I doubt that he made it to the 20 metres to the bottom and sanctuary.

I played around this area for a while longer or no more result before trolling out to the next reef. No fun trolling between reefs but as I got into shallower water I replaced the mackerel lure on my smaller rod with Dave’s popper. I was in 5 metres of water heading towards 2 metres of water when the line strips off from the reel. Hoping for a coral trout (fish trolled up often fight differently to those caught on a cast and retrieve) but up came another barracuda SIGH….

When I arrived into my targeted 2 metres of water, on the first cast a huge long tom comes bounding over the water to the popper. I judged when it was going to intercept the lure and hauled it away from the fish at the last moment – great no hook up. I caught a few small reef fish … and another long tom. But at one bommie, as the lure just came over the edge SMAAAASH a bloody huge coral trout with a body as thick as my new slim figure (…ermmmmm???) hit it. As the electric was on autopilot and going the right way I just kept the pressure on the fish. This trout far outclassed the gear I was using and I was not very hopeful of winning this outcome. But I was winning – for a while. Mr Trout found a little out crop in this bommie and made it to it cutting my 45 pound leader off just above the lure, another 75 centimetres and that fish would have been over clear sand.

On went a Vicious Fishes stickbait. This is one of those lures that I love using but hate to use in case I loose it. 10 minutes later it was smashed upon landing on the wrong side of a bommie and I was cut off immediately. Now this is one reason why I use barbless hooks, this lure floated back up by the time I finished crying and I was able to retrieve it …. happy days.

This reef was starting to slow down in action in response to the slowing of the tidal run.I started the troll back home and had a funny little run on my Ray Murphy mackerel lure. It was actually 3 little runs that only took about a metre of line each time but no hook up. Inspecting the lure there were some impressive tooth marks in the lure.

Even though it was high tide I checked out GT Corner on the way home then trolled over the reef for nothing. (GT Corner works best at the lowest tide possible as the GTs use the bommies to ambush the fish) So I headed back home still trolling the Ray Murphy lure and a Ollie Hart Mac-ray lure. As I neared home the Mac- ray lure screams off. I slowed the troll speed down hoping the Murphy lure would get hit as well – aaaaand yep, a double hook up.

I attended to the smaller rod with the Mac-ray lure first due to lighter line, less line on the spool. The bigger line was slowly loosing line under a heavy drag and with a further 400 metres left on the spool so it was fine to leave alone for a while. Fighting in the smaller line and up comes a cobia about 4 foot (1.3 metres) long and I could see that it was only lightly hooked and right near the boat it throws the hook.

Expecting another cobia on the bigger line I fought in a much heavier fish. “You beauty” I thought as cobia are one of my favourite eating fish. Now remember I said that fish can fight differently on a trolled line to a cast and retrieved lure? Well this turned out to not to be a cobia but a giant trevally. It went for more sustained runs and less circle work that forces you to run around the boat. The hook stayed in and a fat 85 cm GT comes on board. Not a cobia but I just love big GTs.

Martin-

Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:49pm
Looking forward to the photos, right from about 14 yo when I became obsessed with fishing, the cobia in the old modern fishing magazines really grabbed me and to this day remains a bucket list species. A 1.3 m fish sounds pretty impressive.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:55pm
Mad Dog's popper fish captures

The golden trevally on Ollie Hart's Mac-ray lure

Fish on Roy Durre's C.R.A.F.T. stickbait. I had a GT smash this lure but the hooks were too small to gain a purchase.

Capt Seaweed's lures work on the reef, just need a day where the fish are more active to prove it.

The Vicious Fishes lure that was busted off by a big trout and floated back up again.

Richard Lee 's popper

The GT on Ray Murphy's mackerel lure.

Mickey Rat got this nice trout on a K.A.D. lure

I got some little reefies on this HJK minnow but there was only one photo worth showing.

And lastly, the little trout smacked by a barracuda on a jig

Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:27pm
good stuff martin, your livin' a hard life (deserved). went on a SEAPROBE charter out of southport years ago, 52.5 kg black kingie (cobia). took me an hour to get it boat side, cleaned up everyones lines. think it still stands as their biggest. . . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:11pm
WOW that is a huge cobia. My biggest is 15 kgs and that was a tough battle.
Martin-

Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:58am
Great story as usual Horror
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:08am
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

WOW that is a huge cobia. My biggest is 15 kgs and that was a tough battle.
  i have a photo some where, i'll take a photo of the photo Confused and post it up if i can. . . .mick
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:25am
here it is martin, i was a lot younger and had hair on my head. . .mick
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:37pm
That is massive - a dream fish right there.
Martin-

sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:26pm
Mick that was really a huge cobia there, did you caught it on lure and what was the event. Hope you won the same.

Loosing hairs on the head is cosmetic mate, even grey hairs. how one feels about it at 50's, Smile Martin will also agree with me on the same.

Well done mate......Cheers !!

Regards, Raghubir
Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by sudanraghu2210 sudanraghu2210 wrote:

Mick that was really a huge cobia there, did you caught it on lure and what was the event. Hope you won the same.

Loosing hairs on the head is cosmetic mate, even grey hairs. how one feels about it at 50's, Smile Martin will also agree with me on the same.

Well done mate......Cheers !!

Regards, Raghubir
  caught on bait raghubir, on a day charter out off the gold coast over 30 years ago.  it took both hooks on a patanoster rig. haven't got too many hairs left on the head, it's growing wild around my arse so i'm trying to cultivate on my faceLOL. . . .mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:38pm
is that you on the left mick?

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

is that you on the left mick?
Wacko. . .mick
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:32pm
Like always you entertained us with your posts and it's a great read every time 😉
 Thanks for the great catches with my  new Edge Popper.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
Nice to see you're still using the Expo Seaweed's Marty, don't lose it, I'm no longer making. 10yrs. and after reaching 70yrs. two years ago, I've retired. Still adding to my 500 plus one-off Aussie timbers where I can, I receive great help from Billy S.
"Always Merry and Bright"
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Seaweed Seaweed wrote:

Nice to see you're still using the Expo Seaweed's Marty, don't lose it, I'm no longer making. 10yrs. and after reaching 70yrs. two years ago, I've retired. Still adding to my 500 plus one-off Aussie timbers where I can, I receive great help from Billy S.

I have a larger version of that lure in my tackle box as well mate. I was going to see about getting a spanish mackerel on it.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 1:07pm
Not much happened on the lure front lately even though I have tried almost everyday. But the bit fishing has filled the void a bit with giant trevally, mangrove jack and barramundi getting caught and returned to the water.

This lure inactivity has had me watching the weather for this week for the last 2 weeks. From Friday for at least a week the weather is supposed to be very kind to me.

I have caught a couple of fish on lures while waiting for Friday to arrive - 2 giant trevally on HJK stickbaits. This morning though saw my most weirdest barramundi capture. A 66 cm barra was hanging around the shallows trying to throw a soft vibe hooked in it's lip and in it's cheek. The cast net was thrown over it and aboard the wharf it came. A detangling from the net, removal of the lure, and returned to the water sporting a tag. The fish was very lethargic but still in good health.

HJK stickbaits

the lucky barramundi

Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 50>
  Share Topic