LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing Report Eucumbene this Weekend

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
Another week of very calm weather ,to date a rather cold  ,mild winter in the area with overnight temperatures reaching -8, some battery problems first thing in the morning.

No fishing for awhile.

A bit of a blow occurred yesterday arvo and appears to be with us for a couple of days, you just need to be very well rugged up.

Went for a spin just before dark just over an hour, caught three lost four in the waves and released a rainbow, kept a 43.5 cm  (smoker) 50.5cm non breeders all caught in the shallows.

My concerns are due to the very poor past season, lack of food,( insects) how many trout have actually decided to spawn this year.

How is it likely to effect the region/ lake in three years time.

Amazing how the fish caught in more recent time have improved in condition , massively.

I wonder if these recent captures were located in a different part of the lake where food was not a problem.

Still no reports of any fish with Daphnia in their stomachs.

((((Daphnia
Adults range from less than 1 mm to 5 mm in size, with the smaller species typically found in ponds or lakes with fish predation. The ecology of the genus Daphnia may be better known than the ecology of any other group of organisms.))))))

Bom reports 4 July Lake  Eucumbene  level  17.1 %

Regards John

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 10:09pm
Nice feed there John
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 1:30am
17.1% is getting back down again.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:11am
Snow falling in the surrounding area around 1200 to 1400 metres and above , rather fresh.

Road transport  signs  are now informing visitors continuing on their way that they will require chains.

Very well rugged up met one local on his way home too muddy , too cold, no fish, sleet falling in our area and snow falling all around the Lake.

Could only raise one fish caught in the eye, well marked male winds 35 klms gusting to 55 klms snow falling steadily melting as sleet, in the surrounding area.

More islands and larger amounts of land commencing to be exposed, care needs to be exercised when
boating.

Warnings are erected at our main boat ramp  flashing messages at new boaters daily, warning of boating risks.

No issues with overcrowding you can fish were ever you like.

A newer  island.

An early island to the left, with at least 130 metres exposed to walk across, full of mud on the edges.

Full of Yabbies male , had a delay in extracting hooks forceps in different pocket.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:44pm
Rougher round the corner, plenty of white water and strong winds.

No boats out, cold winds, muddy a lack of active fisherman around the shore.

58cm  great condition another non breeder 24 yabbies and pieces in the browns stomach.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:19pm
Well done John - nice fish.
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 7:28am
what do you mean by " non breeders" john. i know nothing about trout. are they not big/old enough to breed?........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:44am
Great to see you get a Trout now and then John
Lots off yabbies in them I see. How big are those yabbies John ???

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 9:49am
Thanks Martin , some tough fishing conditions lately.

Mick there is no evidence or signs of recent spawning in the the fish captures over the last couple of weeks.

Around this time of the year some of the females return, feed up, and have evidence of egg sacks and the odd egg or two left in the tract.

I have experienced a massive turn around in the condition from what I had posted with photos some two to three months ago and earlier.

All the recent captures are in very good nick and no signs of recent spawning , earlier on I had released swollen/ large conditioned trout thinking they were off spawning but due to recent captures have my doubts.

As you know last season was a shocker with no insect life in our  area  due to the poor fill after the snow thaw last year. 

I think BOM recorded us reaching 42% fill before water was released in Nov.
No frog spawning, limited mud eye movement, no grass hoppers ,only two flying ant swarms that I came across.

Limited Bat activity at night due to zero insect life.

Many of the fish were in poor condition and my earlier thoughts were that at the time the trout may have decided not to spawn this year and early and recent fish captures seem to lean towards to my early thoughts.
Hopefully Fisheries have done some  monitoring of the rivers in the area to capture details of active fish spawning numbers.

Per  Yabbies in the the stomach were around 3-4 inches long fully extended for the larger ones and smaller ones just over and inch, the do grow a lot bigger than that at maturity.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 9:59am
Found an unusual fine at the Lake yesterday.

A  Shark.

A lot of work put in to this one.

Too good to lose on the lake floor.

Poorly knot tied nothing attached to the shark.

I think the owner would have been P.... O..

I will ask my metal mate what it is made of and how.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:30am

Steel tail, and lead body mould ,has scale indentations to create effect.

Was asked to take a visitor to the town for a fish by the local caravan park owner, his guest had been here several weeks ago fished for five days had no luck.

Took him to a new area,  shallow, very muddy, it was dictated by the prevailing breeze which was light.

He caught a 58cm and a 49cm lost another nice one, the split ring and treble were missing, the first time I have ever seen that happen. I had one hit and caught a 51cm

Naturally he was rapt. He has already returned for another session this evening and has his son in tow.
Travelled 6 1/2 hours from home.

Snow arrived in the surrounding area most of the day and fell in the town this evening.

Put them on notice, rug up ,wear gloves, we leave 8.30 am.

Like you guys up north chasing the Barra ,  in dirty water  dark shallow lures works well for us down here as well.

Regards John

Muddy muddy  Muddy.

Note yabby in foreground was still alive when stomach contents checked

My 51 cm rainbow.

Rescued a number of lures today whilst in the snow ,found two bombs ,two paravanes top section of a fly rod, one silver daiwa 4000  and a lead lure retriever.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:20pm
Well done on the fish JohnClap. And with the way you are going finding all that gear, you'll soon be able to open up your own tackle storeLOL
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 8:49pm
Are you Lure collector now John
Some very nice healthy Trouts you got there
I envy you as we have the worst dry out in 140 years, and now thy have cut the weed in my local Stream, so the water level is way way down
We can not even turn the grill on, as there is a burning ban all over the country, so dry it has become

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:10pm
Took the visitors to another spot this morning, mirror calm after -9 overnight frost everywhere, snow in the hills and in the shade. 

No luck . 

Trod on a lead bomb hidden beside a tree that normally would be covered  with water and would not have seen day light since 2006. Covered in silt built up through the years, also had the clip attached.
no lure.
We have been experiencing a very dry spell once again in the area and have had a number of cattle using the long paddock .

A report in the town indicated two dogs were stolen from their posts on the road stopping cattle moving past them.
Strange people about.

I will put a a rainbow trout lure up for i d probably tomorrow, aged and battle scared I though it might be a deception styled lure

Regards John

JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Was asked to take a visitor to the town for a fish by the local caravan park owner, his guest had been here several weeks ago fished for five days had no luck.
Took him to a new area,  shallow, very muddy, it was dictated by the prevailing breeze which was light.

He caught a 58cm and a 49cm lost another nice one, the split ring and treble were missing, the first time I have ever seen that happen. I had one hit and caught a 51cm

Good karma for you.

My 51 cm rainbow.

your 51cm rainbow is a brown :)

JKR

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 12:45am
Nice pick up John.Thumbs Up

The three trout caught were in an earlier picture lying on the garbage bag.

At the time thought I should put a comment in about the rainbow trout lure I found and decide to leave it for later.
well done

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:03am
Deception lure located.

Was covered  in mud .

Wood or plastic.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 9:36pm
Bridge appearing at Anglers  Reach under 14 % according to BOM.

Some of you regulars may have seen it before around 2006.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 6:49pm
Finally the mirror calm conditions have ended and a decent blow arrived overnight.

Strong 50 klm winds and  gusts above most of the day.

No boats on water.

Only two of us attempted a fish this morning. a visitor from the Hunter valley and I
The lure came back quicker than it was thrown out at Cemetery.

We put up with the conditions for about 3/4 of hours a little wet and cold with zero result.
Shifted to another area still into the wind , more yabby signs on the edge of the lake.
My visitor elected to stay and watch me do battle from the vehicile

Third  cast nailed the 50cm brown and signaled to the driver our change in fortune.
a fast exist out of the car ensured, and a quick change brought him down the hill to see me land my second fish 49 cm brown. Two for me.

We battled the elements and the showers for a further 30 odd minutes  without  success.

Footnote

I should mention that I am casting 3 grams shallow swimming lures which adds to the challenge in the strong winds, but do  get the results.

Regards John

The bottom two fillets were a darker orange and came from the well marked brown.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 8:53pm
Hey John a question that you may be able to answer from your experience. Is there any correlation between how well marked the fish is to how dark the flesh is?
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 10:06pm
Good to see you're back on John. A couple of really nice fish. As Matin writes, it's a bit of fun with the difference in meat color. Once I start catching Sea Trout again, I'll try to see if there's any comparison with how marked they are.
Unfortunately, there is still extreme drought, so the river is extremely low tide, so there are not many trout in there
Even worse is what I was told yesterday there has been a big slurry spill in one of our important spawning streams. All life is wiped out and thousands of small dead trout floats around. If it has reached the actual river, I do not know at present. Fortunately, we got a short while of thunder and rain last night, which I hope has diluted the slurry
Maybe luck by accident the creek is not filled with big trout ready to spawn if it has reached it
Keep fighting John. I am looking forward every time there is a report from you

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 12:14am
Good question Martin.
Not sure.
Will keep an eye out and offer an opinion down the track.
Per

Terrible news about the spill.hope someone is held accountable
could take years to repair itself.

We like you have had a shortage of rain and farmers are bringing in hay to feed the sheep and cattle in the area

I intend taking another photo of Yens bay around next weekend water should then be out the front entrance to the bay.

One or two lures showing up some in unusual places.

Located an unusual find will place a photo up tomorrow

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 6:08pm
I wonder if anybody has come across this type of item in their travels.

A must for most sheds I would have thought.

I came across it as is in my travels on the Lake.

You are unable to place wedges in the handle through the head due to it being sealed.

One suggestion I have received it may have been an advertising tool issued by the hammer company many moons ago.

Regards John

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 8:20pm
Careful John, you may get inundated with offers on that hammer headLOL
Martin-

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 11:07pm
I am pretty sure it is a Stanley Hammer a bit rebuilt you found John
Take a look off my old Stanley Hammer

Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 10:22am
Well those trout do get pretty big in your area John. Go at it with a hammer then open your beer once you've built up a thirst.

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 6:49pm
Very tough conditions today basically did not warrant a trip to the Lake

60 -80 klms gusts all day, house shook ,white water everywhere according to the camera.

Strong winds heavy dust storms  should clean up a bit of the silt with the wave action, trout should be  feeding on the young yabbies.

Per it is not one of those hammers with new heads and new handles changed through the years.Wink

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:26am
Slight delay for trip to Lake today.

Our best snow dump in 5 winters arrived late overnight ,had rain falling around midnight until this
latest front greeted  us.

Will provide some interesting activities in the region as tourist bog in the muddy areas ,

Regards John

For those that know the area several camera's may show some interesting pictures.

.selwynsnow.com.au/livecams

.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/using-waterways/web-cameras/eucumbene.html

Regards John

Our local snow ploughs should be out and about clearing roads in the area, snow chains will be required will attempt to get some Lake pictures later in the morning.

River moving fast Sunday walked from the Portal to edge of Anglers Reach , did not  attempt to ford river,  .

Located edge of Lake (fishing water) river still closed  till beginning of October.

Pelicans harvesting the river at the time.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 8:40am
  August 7th  7am   report

Snow Report for Selwyn Snow Resort

Current Temperature-2.7°C
Maximum Temperature (Last 24hours)-1.0°C
Minimum Temperature (Last 24hours)-2.8°C
WindW 31 km/h
New Snow (Last 24hours)25 cm
Date of last Snowfall07 Aug 2018
Man-made Snow (Last 24hours)0cm
Average Snow Depth6.9cm
Lifts5 lifts are set to spin. 
Click here for a complete run down of lift status.
Snow ConditionsFive lifts will be in action today, giving you 100% access to the mountains terrain. With over 20cm of champagne powder falling overnight, there is excellent coverage across the resort, with the entire mountain freshly groomed.
Today's PickSnowfall is predicted right across the day, so remember your goggles!
Weather ConditionsPartly cloudy. Very high (90%) chance of snow showers in the west, becoming less likely this evening. Winds westerly 30 to 45 km/h turning northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h in the evening.
Bureau ForecastPartly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers about the ranges, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Snow falling above 1200 metres. The chance of a thunderstorm in the west in the afternoon and evening. Winds northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h tending westerly in the early afternoon then becoming light in the late evening.
Road ConditionsPlease check Road Report from RMS
Snow TubingClosed
TobogganingOpen
Terrain ParkClosed

Useful Links

Check out next winter specials here: http://selwynsnow.com.au/snowspecials
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 10:39am
And here I am sweating it out in 30 degrees and a lot of humidity. That looks very very cold John
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

And here I am sweating it out in 30 degrees and a lot of humidity. That looks very very cold John
its beautiful here(for now) 21degrees with a high of 24Big smile.all that snow looks beautiful John hope yopu've got a good battery in your fourby as extreme temps tends to kill them.My son informs me that supercheap auto sells hammers like your one though i think yours is old.I'll get him to get one for me and post up the pics
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 2:19pm
It is a little fresh at the moment Martin.

Checked my weather station we have just touched 4 degrees at 1 pm.

Chris  Dave (Mad Dog) and I  experienced that very problem when we visited Tantangara one evening  .

I was looking at walking out 20 klms for assistance but we were assisted by the only other person on the  Lake and we have been good mates every since with regular contact each week.

A perfect strange.

((((Amazing how chance encounters work out whilst fishing.

Would almost require its own thread, there must be many other similar stories out there. ))))

Made it to the Lake and took a few pictures.
\

Did not fish.

Regards John

Snow  falling in the distance. 

Note what used to be the island  which is now a point.

The island out a distant now some brave souls actually drive to it.

I prefer to walk have no desire to bog.

Yens Bay entrance one car had entered.

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 3:05pm
that is beautiful John thanks for sharingThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2018 at 5:28pm
I picked this up late last week

Just cleaned the front of the bib after photographing it.

It has had a tough life, but amazingly in very sound order the bib and wood work.

Painting leaves a lot to be desired.

Has a lot of character though.

The bib says Taylor Made Lures.

Any idea of age eyes are black dot perhaps tiny red strip and larger silver back ground.

Thanks

Regards John

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 8:52pm
She's an old lure John, If you want to restore it send it up here at no costWink

Cheers,
Mad Dog
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
  Share Topic