LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Side Scan questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Side Scan questions
    Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 12:29pm
Hello everyone, I am deciding on going up to sounder with side scan and need some advice.My old sounder is nearly back to the lego block screen.   Would an older HDS( 2nd hand ) be OK or worth saving for a new Gen2 .  Using lowrance as an example.          And also to the blokes and ladies using these side imaging sets. Do you find yourself not fishing if you can`t see fish on the screen or do you use them more to find good structure ,bait schools etc?                                               Thanks Gary
be anxious for nothing
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:08pm
Gary, I have an 898 humminbird, last year I was trolling leaders crk, saw a snag about 15m on my left, had no idea there was anything there, moved the cursor onto it, and marked it.
Next run, over the top of the mark, I got 105cm barra.
No fish showed on the snag either pass.
Garmin also have released a side scan that seems pretty good.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2014 at 6:40pm
Gary I have 898 on console and 798 humming bird onfront mount electric so will not comment on other brands .but once you have used side and down imaging you would not go back to a normal sounder   
Cheers Graeme
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 9:50am
Thanks for the comments
. I`ll have to upgrade. 

Gary

be anxious for nothing
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 7:47pm
i too am a huge Humminbird fan running a 1198 at the helm and an 898 up the front, once you use it, you wish you had got it ages ago, here are some pic from a few outings. Tim
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 11:27pm
excellent shots there Tim.  Love the detail and the barra ( couldn`t be anything else could it ) in the first shot . 
be anxious for nothing
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 10:25am
Love those shots. I have seen one in an advert of a croc on the bottom - awesome.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 9:50am
Hi, I also have an 898. I use it to find structure and will still fish on it even if no fish are showing. I find it works a treat in the creeks and bays. I have a few marks up here and was amazed how much extra I found down there when I got the 898 compared to the standard one. If I am trolling for Macks I still just use 'standard' screens to find bait balls etc as I have found the side imageing / down imaging doesn't work well in deeper water eg over 80 - 90 feet.
The major brands all seem to have there own systems now and haven't used any of the others to comment if they are better or not. The only advice I will offer is buy the biggest screen you can afford.
Love those screen shots Tim.
Cheers Col
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 12:40am
Hello Gimme, Thats what I wanted , Will be checking them out for sure. 
be anxious for nothing
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 12:55am
Great images Tim, I dont many as good as those.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Tyenna Dave View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tas Highland Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyenna Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 4:14pm
Fishing with a tournament angler yesterday that wishes he had stayed with Humminbird Thumbs Up
I just updated to a HD unit and they are very easy to use now ,especially with the screen shortcut buttons . At first did not realise that there is a deep saltwater mode on the Humminbirds ,i go side sonar at its great for spotting the bait on the fast troll when out wide on the Tuna .
Great screen shots Tim ,i will have to put a card back in to take some myself .Love the tinny on the bottom ,Titanic LOL
Cheers ,
Dave ...
Trout extractor !
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:53pm
here are some more pics
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:55pm
should have mentioned the first pic is an eagle ray on right hand side, next pic is a barbed wire fence in monduran as i cut across it, you can clearly see the strands of wire in the pic. Tim
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2014 at 8:19pm
Cool photos - awesome the gadgets these daysThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2014 at 8:52am
I went with a Lowrance HDS touch model, basically because I got it for half price - thought it was a great unit until I saw the Hummingbird pics above .... clearly I've got some tweaking to do because I've not even got close this clarity of picture from the side / down scan Confused

Maybe I just got value for money Big smile

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic