LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finish saddle bibs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finish saddle bibs
    Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 2:59pm
Out of curiosity anyone have an idea how those round saddle bibs are made?

Think they are on the commercial scatter rapala lures, I just know that the Finnish lure makers have been using these for years.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:17pm
hmmmm...... don't know the bibs of which you speak.(said in my head in a Gandalf accent)

Got any photos or example of lures they are on (said in my head in a very bad English cockney accent)

and no, I am not off my meds, just in a weird mood   ..... maybe I should be on medsConfusedLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
Hi Charles, Do you mean the "not concave" bibs ? (Convex??) Pete Rayner, tag hazmail on here has produced some on his lure models if my memory, shaky, serves me well. Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

hmmmm...... don't know the bibs of which you speak.(said in my head in a Gandalf accent)

Got any photos or example of lures they are on (said in my head in a very bad English cockney accent)

and no, I am not off my meds, just in a weird mood   ..... maybe I should be on medsConfusedLOL

So funny MartinLOLLOLLOL
Life is fishing!
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:16pm
Martin you worry me some times....haha. Then again as a Hunter S. Thompson enthusiast you take strange as a norm that sets the world in balance. The gandolf voice is fine, only start to worry if you speak like Danny from the shining.

I see, yes, they are concave. Perhaps heating them with a former. Think I've come across Pete's post, hes a true tinkerer.

Wanted to learn a bit about them, curious of their history and the ins and outs of their application. Seems tough to find information on them, which is a bit strange considering they are common in Finland?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:18pm
Hey Charles-
Per or "p.j'' (on this site) will know all about it-- OR try ''Piatu'' another member

http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=619

I have some granules here and have used it a a lacquer, you can also make it by dissolving plastic reading glass lenses, very tough stuff, also used in chisel handles and sun/ reading glass frames.
They have been using it for years in ''Scandinavia'' I suspect it is one of the early plastics made after the war (2nd world war) Approve Seems it was molded to shape for bibs (lips).

If you go here :::   http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/finnish-lures_topic24979.html
The first picture is a lure with a ''saddle bib'', "p.j'' and  ''Piatu''  are also on this page so you can click and send them a ''PM''.
Want any recipes etc post me and I will send you info.
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 9:27pm
I'll give him a shout, much appreciated. Might get lucky and he will chime in.

Yes, the lure in that picture is sporting the saddle lip.

So granules are melted into the shape or is it the former, I'm a bit lost?

Thanks

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 11:40pm
I got some off these bibs from Paitu some years ago. 
Have never used them, but seen a lot off Lures from finland made with them. 
Think thy can be bought in Lure part stores "over" there
cheers Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:10pm
Rapala Scatter Rap. One of favourite lures. The bib gives it a "randomn" swimming action.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:05pm
OH yeah Shane, ''Hunting'', the holy grail of lure making.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:38pm
Thanks Per
Been wanting to give these a try and experiment a bit with different actions. Also wanted to know a bit on the history of these, I find things like that fascinating.

Pete
not sure why lures that hunt are the holy grail? I've made a few, although they look great zig zagging through the water they don't catch more fish than a regular crankbait. That's been my experience.
As for consistently making hunting lures, try red oak with no ballast. for some reason it gives an unpredictable balance to lures causing them to track and dart suddenly.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 7:41pm
Martin you worry me some times....haha. Then again as a Hunter S. Thompson enthusiast you take strange as a norm that sets the world in balance. The gandolf voice is fine, only start to worry if you speak like Danny from the shining.

LOLLOLLOL I worry me too Wacko, but then again I wouldn't be normal if I wasn't abnormal.

Now I know the bibs you are talking aboutThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic