LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > North American Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eppinger Dardevles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eppinger Dardevles
    Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 6:54am
I've checked out well over 1000 auctions on Escray...and have done other 'Net searches regarding Eppinger Dardevles over the last 10 years.

Attached is a pic of what I believe to be true. IF any of you feel that any of the comments may be incorrect, don't hesitate to post such thoughts. At least at that point I can explain what I've documented Wink

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:55am
Rivermandave  approximately what time frame do the lures cover.
On a lot of spoons sold in Australia from  overseas  the lures seems to have a missing  front split ring . Why. I thought it might be  to save money  .

You would need a lot of sales to get any sort of benefit.

It seems to me it only  occurs on lures imported or made overseas from  a variety of countries.

regards John
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:03pm
Interesting collection there, seeing a progression of changes in the lures as they evolveThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Rivermandave  approximately what time frame do the lures cover.
On a lot of spoons sold in Australia from  overseas  the lures seems to have a missing  front split ring . Why. I thought it might be  to save money  .

You would need a lot of sales to get any sort of benefit.

It seems to me it only  occurs on lures imported or made overseas from  a variety of countries.

regards John

Hi John Smile split rings 1st.

I've NEVER seen an Eppinger Dardevle of any sort that was NIP/NIB with a split rings Nor have I ever seen most other companies spoons actually have them. 3 companies that I HAVE seen rings on are....

1. Hofschneider Red-Eye spoons (now made by Eppinger)
2. Williams Wobblers & such
3. SOME Lucky Strike spoons (Canada)
4. SOME Luhr Jensen Krocodiles

I PERSONALLY believe it is because many spoons have been marketed to pike fisher-folks, and if you know anything about pike, their teeth will will cut though many lines if you don't use a wire leader. MOST of those have 2 swivels & a snap, which allows pretty much the same "freedom of movement" that a split ring (or welded ring) would allow. JMHO

As far as Eppinger dates goes, I am still researching that, but these are my current thoughts.

Attached is a pic of a page from the 1946 Eppinger catalog. You'll notice that the "Winged Dardevle" is stamped as "Temporarily Discontinued". I have never seen one of these lures in a plastic top box, so I'm making an "educated guess" that Eppinger stop using the 2 piece cardboard boxes around that time. I'm also baseing my guess on the fact that Arbogast had plastic top boxes in 1947.

With all that being said, I will therefore state that the group of lures in my original pic above dates from at least 1946 - 2000+.

I am currently working on trying to date several addresses Eppinger used over the years...and will post something about it in the next few days.

Best regards

David

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:07am
Thanks  David
I will try and track down a little bit of info from our end on spoons
Regards John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2013 at 7:06am
You're welcome John.

Here's what I've pieced together so far. The dates for the addresses are from what I've seen as far as old advertisements that I've seen for sale. Matching them to the boxes is just an educated guess at this point Confused

!(1921) 68 E. Congress St. Detroit Michigan

(1923) 312 E. Congress St. Detroit Michigan

(1924) 310-312 E. Congress St. Detroit Michigan

(1924?) 131 Cadillac Square, Detroit Michigan

(1928-1930) 131-135 Cadillac Square, Detroit Michigan

(1930's-1947) 131-137 Cadillac Square, Detroit Michigan

(1951-1958) 1757 Puritan Ave, Detroit 3 Michigan

(1960's) 6340 Schaefer Hwy, Dearborn 1 Michigan

4 main "points" of changes that seem apparent to me...JMHO though for sure Wink

1. The oldest boxes had no "art work" to speak of...just text.

2. The "131 Cadillac" address dates to as late as 1947, which supports my previous thought that the "clear top / black ink" box dates to such.

3. During their time at the "1757 Puritan" address the company changed the artwork on the bottom of the box.

4. Once they moved to the "6340 Schaefer" address in Dearborn, the clear top then had gold lettering.

Scot B. Ballmer View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scot B. Ballmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 12:52am
Dave,

Very informative post from a couple years ago.
I have those boxes. But.. Where does the
wooden slide top box fall in time wise?

Thank you

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Scot B. Ballmer Scot B. Ballmer wrote:

Dave,

Very informative post from a couple years ago.
I have those boxes. But.. Where does the
wooden slide top box fall in time wise?

Thank you

I've never seen one Scot....gotta pic? Question

That said...it would be a reasonable assumption that wood boxes would have been earliest of all

JMHO Ying Yang
Andrii View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:16am
Dave, I believe early Dardevles had a narrow white stripe. As seen on the first box. Even during WWII (when they made spoons from magnetic steel) this stripe was narrow. This is lure from this period (I have few of them):

They started with wide stripe around 1950. Soon they added devil head (~1954). This ad from 1952 shows both narrow and wide stripes:

Finally, the ad from 1958 shows return to narrower stripe (though it is wider than in 1920-40s):

So I believe all Dardevles with wide stripes and without devil head are from early 1950s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic