LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crank baits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank baits
    Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 3:06am
Hi

Sharing my babies crank baits finished y’day. Had a tough time while doing top coat with envirotex lite. The issues were fisheye, uneven coat, lumps and tried sorting out one by one like handling of baits , ensuring clean environment , temperature and finally modifying my lure dryer itself. But appreciate advice including using alternative to envirotex lite.

Regards, Raghubir

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:58am
Thy looks great Raghubir ClapClap
you have come a long way Thumbs Up

Knaek & Break 
           Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 7:16pm
Wow Raghubir, You have done a fantastic job on those Crank baits. 👍
Those lures you gave me, I gave them to Martin(horrorhead) to try on the Barra up his way and they worked great.👍
Send me a email if you like about your clear coat.

Well done again Raghubir.

Cheers
Dave

Life is fishing!
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:10pm
Dave you made my Day, I feel top of the world.

I was upset in office today morning for some official issues.

Thank you so much buddy for sharing the feedback.

With regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 3:27am
Hi Per!!

Thanks for your motivational words, which keeps me moving forward in this hobby.

Still a long way to go, LL has got fantastic senior's who are always available for motivating all the new beginners  into this creative field and also give their positive advice.

Once again, thanks Per for your feedback.

Pardon me for my delay in reply as i was in office & could reply only to Dave.

With Regards, Raghubir

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:33am
They look great! 

with lures that have large flat sides and thin bodies, often the envirotex will give an uneven
finish, due to the surface area on the sides of the lures and the weight of the envirotex gathering in the middle, pulling away from the edges usually.
Try giving your lures thinner coats, so apply less envirotex, and do an extra coat or two, rather than doing heavy coats.
the fish eye is contamination of some sort, you can remove the bubbles/fisheyes as they appear by blowing on them till they disappear.
Those lures would do well on our Australian Bass.
cheers
Nicho
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:44am
PM sent Raghubir
Life is fishing!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 4:41pm
Looking very very good Raghubir- nice.

That lure worked great, and very good action and it cast like a rocket.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
HARTE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HARTE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 6:06pm
Great looking lures Clap Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:32am
Hi

Nicho

Thanks for sharing your tips of using envirotex, seems you have good hands on experience. Are you using the same epoxy for top coats on your lures, pl. do share some more inputs for using it.

Thanks again for sharing useful information of using ET , will definitely try out your inputs.

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:47am
Good morning,Martin

You caught a prize fish on my lure, that makes me charged up to spend more time in sort up my issues with ET.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on my lure, the moment Dave shared on my post about your catch was amazing. You can understand the feeling one gets on success of his lures.

Additionally, landing a prize fish also depends on the skills of the user.Smile

Thank you again

With Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:55am
Hi, Graham

Good morning,

Thanks for the feedback on my lures, its keeps moving my passion of lure making.Smile

Thanks, Regards
Raghubir

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:16pm
It was a pleasure to use your lure Raghubir.

Thank you Dave for letting me use it.
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:15am
Originally posted by sudanraghu2210 sudanraghu2210 wrote:

Hi

Nicho

Thanks for sharing your tips of using envirotex, seems you have good hands on experience. Are you using the same epoxy for top coats on your lures, pl. do share some more inputs for using it.

Thanks again for sharing useful information of using ET , will definitely try out your inputs.

Regards, Raghubir

Hi Raghubir
no worries mate, it does come down to trial and error which is the best way to learn anything.
If you have any issues using Envirotex im happy to answer any questions that may arise, doesnt mean i know it all, i learn something new everytime i use it.
yes i do use it as topcoat.
keep up the good work, if Martin can catch a fish on your lures they must be very bloody good lures LOLWink

now to wait for martin to bite like those fish Smile

Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 12:38pm
Great looking lure Raghubir, im in the early stages too and was having tons of trouble with etex (and still do). My theory is starting to be that there are 100 1 percenters in lure making that make up an overall 100% lure. Still a long way off that. The main one for me in clear coating is that extended curing times for the paint works wonders, I paint mine then hang them in a cupboard for 10 days or so prior to clear coat. I've also found any little uneveness in the paint causes a fisheye so my  prep is getting better all the time and now am at 600 grit wet and dry sand level prior to painting to get best possible surface. I apply multiple light coats of paint rather than one heavy one also to keep as even as possible. then wipe over with a lint free cloth prior to clearing to ensure no dust etc. I'm getting there but keep telling myself the action is most important thing anyway. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Hi, Andrew

Thanks for ur feedback and sharing ur process. 
Very true at all the stages, sufficient time to be given for drying and curing  which depends on colors , epoxy and processes being used. 
That's the reason why all seniors advice for experienting and observing and recording.

This time I could signed  my lures which was never before even with permanent water bsed ink pen. After paint I gave good time for the paint to dry about a week and then signed my lure. Again I waited for about 4 days before applying epoxy and the results are here

Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:17pm
when signing with the pen, i use a hairdryer for about 30 seconds to dry the ink,
the topcoat can then be applied straight away, without the pen ink running.
i find that works for me.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Rivoli Rivoli wrote:

Great looking lure Raghubir, im in the early stages too and was having tons of trouble with etex (and still do). My theory is starting to be that there are 100 1 percenters in lure making that make up an overall 100% lure. Still a long way off that. The main one for me in clear coating is that extended curing times for the paint works wonders, I paint mine then hang them in a cupboard for 10 days or so prior to clear coat. I've also found any little uneveness in the paint causes a fisheye so my  prep is getting better all the time and now am at 600 grit wet and dry sand level prior to painting to get best possible surface. I apply multiple light coats of paint rather than one heavy one also to keep as even as possible. then wipe over with a lint free cloth prior to clearing to ensure no dust etc. I'm getting there but keep telling myself the action is most important thing anyway. 

Rivoli
100% action is the most important thing, an unpainted or roughly painted lure will still catch fish if it swims well and is placed in the right spot at the right time.
Its only natural, as humans, that we to want to improve as we learn, and eventually the rough looking/ ugly duckling lure that catches a lot of fish,  eventually becomes increasingly more attractive as we improve.
I still use basic kids water based paints, i hand brush all my lures from undercoat through to clearcoat, some people may not like them, but i make them to please myself, not others.
Its all the hrs of mistakes where we learn the most, why, how, WTF! stupid luresSmile

If you are using etex as your top coat, im not sure that its the unevenness of your paint that causes the fish eye, etex is self levelling so it will fill the hole or uneven surface and find its level after a coat or two, depending on how youve applied it.
The fish eye is almost always contamination of some kind, although if the mixture is too thick/ too far cured when its being applied , it may result in a fisheye/or an uneven looking finish, simply because its too dry/too cured, to easily spread itself evenly over the surface to find an even level,..if that makes any sense.
Many people say they must have a rottiserie to use etex, this is far from true, the end result is exactly the same, its just a bit more time consuming without one, i actually prefer to hang my lures for the first one or two coats, and use the rotisserie only for the last coat..but im a bit weird.

like you mentioned you put extra time into sanding, like everything in life, preparation is the key, spend the time, and the end result will improve.
the most important time though is making sure that the lure swims, before you go to all the trouble of making it pretty.
Theres a lot of very pretty lures out there that dont swim well, and theres a lot of ugly ones that catch a lot of fish.
main thing is, enjoy the process to please yourself...not others.

Jas

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:12pm
 No reply Nicho.... Raghubir makes a good lure. Too bad I didn’t get to use it on the coral trout that infest our coastline up here 
Martin-

Rivoli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivoli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
So I did a quick experiment based on previous observations. On a pre primed lure sanded with 600 grit I get a perfect glass like coat, done yesterday. I know After I paint, I can’t get perfect even though I don’t touch it or anything. I rinse the airbrush between colours with windex clear. The contamination must be coming from that? Sorry to hijack post Raghubir.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 4:54am
Good Morning!!

Nicho

Thats what i like the most in this Forum, u have a issue someone will jump immediately to assist you. May be i can send  ONE for you to try Wink  to catch up with Martin Smile

Regards, Raghubir

Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:15am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Rivoli
100% action is the most important thing, an unpainted or roughly painted lure will still catch fish if it swims well and is placed in the right spot at the right time.
Its only natural, as humans, that we to want to improve as we learn, and eventually the rough looking/ ugly duckling lure that catches a lot of fish,  eventually becomes increasingly more attractive as we improve.
I still use basic kids water based paints, i hand brush all my lures from undercoat through to clearcoat, some people may not like them, but i make them to please myself, not others.
Its all the hrs of mistakes where we learn the most, why, how, WTF! stupid luresSmile

If you are using etex as your top coat, im not sure that its the unevenness of your paint that causes the fish eye, etex is self levelling so it will fill the hole or uneven surface and find its level after a coat or two, depending on how youve applied it.
The fish eye is almost always contamination of some kind, although if the mixture is too thick/ too far cured when its being applied , it may result in a fisheye/or an uneven looking finish, simply because its too dry/too cured, to easily spread itself evenly over the surface to find an even level,..if that makes any sense.
Many people say they must have a rottiserie to use etex, this is far from true, the end result is exactly the same, its just a bit more time consuming without one, i actually prefer to hang my lures for the first one or two coats, and use the rotisserie only for the last coat..but im a bit weird.

like you mentioned you put extra time into sanding, like everything in life, preparation is the key, spend the time, and the end result will improve.
the most important time though is making sure that the lure swims, before you go to all the trouble of making it pretty.
Theres a lot of very pretty lures out there that dont swim well, and theres a lot of ugly ones that catch a lot of fish.
main thing is, enjoy the process to please yourself...not others.

Jas

Very, true its the action & the capability of lure to catch fish is more important than cosmetic look. But unfortunately the cosmetic looks attract more Wink even though one has to repent later on.

Nicho, thanks for sharing some useful tips.

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 5:19am

So I did a quick experiment based on previous observations. On a pre primed lure sanded with 600 grit I get a perfect glass like coat, done yesterday. I know After I paint, I can’t get perfect even though I don’t touch it or anything. I rinse the airbrush between colours with windex clear. The contamination must be coming from that? Sorry to hijack post Raghubir.

Not a issue Andrew, knowledge shared at any place is always welcome Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic