Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Treble Hooks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Treble Hooks
    Posted: 04 May 2023 at 10:45pm
        Ok, so most Freshwater lures come fitted with black or brown trebles and almost all Saltwater lures come fitted with silver trebles, I know a few anglers that prefer red trebles on all their lures, both fresh and salt. This started me thinking, I have never noticed anyone using Black trebles in salt water for such species like Barra, Jacks, Bream or Flathead, just to name a few.
         So the the first question I'm asking is, are there any members here on Lure Lovers or know of anglers that use Black Trebles on the lures you use on saltwater species, if the answer is a no, then my next question is WHY NOT!
          Please feel free to give your opinion one way or the other on the using of black trebles on saltwater species. Thanks.

Cheers
Samurai
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 7:58am
I use those black trebles from Fishing Unlimited ( who have announced that they are closing down now). I gave them on my fresh and saltwater lures as they were cheap but relatively strong. I can’t really see the advantage with what colours they are either way to be truthful.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 12:14pm
the RED & the black hooks on the smaller lures too 100mm over that 3 strong VMC are the go on bigger lures ive found over 40 years of lure fishingSmileSmileSmile
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 12:38pm
I don't actively hunt out certain colours for different lures or anything.
So I will use black when fishing saltwater, if I happen to have something that fits the lure.
I think they are called VMC Spark Point (?) but I have caught a shedload of saltwater barra on some of those.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 8:45am
ive had some of the black ones go a bit rusty in the saltwater Warren but they work alright
that's no how ye make porridge!
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 9:59am
I assumed silver trebles were anodized (?) to help prevent rusting in saltwater. Same for split rings.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2023 at 10:13am
thats it mate,i think most split rings are stainless steel
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic