LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > What the blazes is this fishing Lure?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Baker Kray?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baker Kray?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 11:56am
Some of you may have seen this lure before.

I believe that there is a strong possibility this is an early/prototype/one-off lure made by Keith Baker.

Keith was well known for creating one-off lures, including some very intricate designs including all type of crustaceans, I spoke just yesterday to a gentleman who owns several one-off models of the Krays including a Murray Cray version with white beads on it's back, and another with red beads on it's belly similar to the lure I have shown here (although these have a body shape similar to the somewhat more recent model Baker Kray). Hopefully I can get permission from the owner to post pics of those lures...

I have previously heard it mentioned that the most common model made in the later stages of Keiths career as being the only Baker Kray, which was then carried on in production by Jaysea lures when Warren purchased the right to manufacture that model of Keith's lures.

I question this train of thought, especially since Keith was known to produce one-off versions.

Keen to hear your thoughts please Smile

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 12:00pm
I was excited to win a small version of the more commonly known Keith Baker Kray model on ebay last week, which seems to use the same colours as my other Kray - here's a few pics of them alongside each other. Several people that I have spoken to have stated they are confident it's a Keith Baker lure, and the colours in particular are reminiscent of those used by Keith, along with the intricacy of the design being another of his signatures - especially on the one-off lures he produced. (I should also mentioned several people have mentioned it's not one of Keiths lures, as far as i can ascertain they base that view on the fact they haven't seen one that looks like this)

Here's a few pics side by side to show the colours common to the two lures

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this lure, obviously it's a tricky one and basing the decision on colour alone is perhaps not definitive, but certainly provides a possible link in my opinion. I very much hope to get pictures (or better still the lures themselves) that have the beads on them as that could be the "missing link" that I need to positively identify this wonderfull lure once and for all! Beer

Edited by Tony - 23 Nov 2009 at 12:26pm
Cheers, Tony

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 4:08pm
---
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2009 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Rellik-doc-Rob Rellik-doc-Rob wrote:

Tony , its always difficult to 100% guarantee verification , maybe only the maker could do that . But Kieth Baker swapped me a box of his lures for a box of my handmade lures in the early 90's . I would think 1992 would be close. Amongst the lures he sent me were lures that look exactly the same as the ones you posted.
 Not all of Kieth's "Crays " had eggs , i can assure you of that . I gave a few of mine to a mate in Bueadesert and he still has them. Im hoping he joins this forum , and ill get him to post his Baker lures.

I think yours are the real-deal , but just my opinion. Wish i had kept a few of the lures Kieth sent me.

Thanks for sharing that info Rob

Given that you got the lures directly from Keith and they included the same style I'm feeling more confident about what previously has been based on guesswork on my part.

It will be great if your mate from Bueadesert joins us, there doesn't seem to be much info about Keith and his Lures around. Do you happen to know where Keith was from?
Cheers, Tony

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm
This is an old post that needs an answer.Maybe someone has some more info now.
The Journey is the Reward

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 1:11pm
G'day Barry, no more info from me as yet, although I have a pretty photo Big smile

I've been lucky enough to compare the lure I mentioned above with some additional Keith Baker lures, so that part of the riddle is solved Big smile

It would be really nice to learn more about Mr Baker as his lure making talent was incredible.

Cheers, Tony

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2011 at 4:14pm
Nice little lot Tony.One day we will find out some more.
The Journey is the Reward

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic