LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My set up and results so far

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My set up and results so far
    Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 9:26pm
Hey guys. Bit of prompting from Nicho meant I thought I should post up what I'm working with and some of my crapations so far.

I've always made lures, so actually making them is nothing new for me. In the past I've dabbled with divers, as well as making a few poppers on my dads old metal lathe. Metals I've made hundreds over the years, saved a lot of money spinning the rocks that way, and I reakon they worked as well or better than bought ones, and were cheap as.

The current spate of lure making was brought on by poppers and stick baits. $50 being a cheap popper or stick bait is just ridiculous to me. That's $50 for a made in china piece of moulded plastic. Then you get the timber carved ones that are like $85+......Can't afford or won't pay that much basically.

Decided to start trying to make my own, with the ultimate aim of getting stick baits perfected.

Poppers especially are a lathe item, and I decided I wanted to get stickbaits good from the lathe as well, for ease of shaping.

Pulled out the old jewellers lathe I had (I think its a jewellers lathe, keen to hear any opinions on that part). Took a bit of stuffing around getting a dead tail centre made, something to hold the timber and a rest, but happy with the result. Only problem, its got a really short little bed on it, so not really well suited to turning bigger kingy stickbaits........I'll work on an extended tail centre later on-too many jobs lining up on the bench there.

So, this is the little lathe I'm working with. Motor is an old 12v drill, with the trigger speed control mounted on the floor and being used as a foot control. It was previously being used as a rod lathe, but I haven't done many rods in a fair while, last one had CA/super glue used to hold the bindings-a lot of love there!

These are some of the things I've turned up. Some small poppers, a big stick bait that I experimented with offset turning on as well. THis is my work in progress lure, playing around with shapes on the sides and balancing to see its effect on action. Have a pool, so I'm lucky I can pop out and test it straight away.

Also got a bigger popper there. Had no way of turning the cup face into it, till I took the grinder to an old spade drill bit and made the shape I wanted. Worked well, so I've bought a heap of cheapies to mod for this in various sizes.

Got a little stick bait there as well, hoping this will work well on the flats for whiting and bream. Really enjoying that fishing lately, so would be nice to be able to make my own lures for it.

I'm really hoping to make some surface bass walkers, and some bigger ones for cod (if I ever get a chance to chase them). So on the list of things to work out is getting the bibs sorted for them. Tried a few things with no success so far. I figure vac forming will give me the shape I need, but that's just another job to pile up on the bench.

I will eventually have to get the painting side sorted, but can't really invest in compressor and airbrush at the moment (incidently, I notice others on here had the same thought I did in using a fridge compressor!! Works well for vacuum as well).

I'm also very keen to play with UV setting resin coatings. No mixing and fast setting times seems to be the go there. Keen to hear from anyone who's got experience with them.

Anyway, thought I should put out there what sort of stuff I'm doing. Keen to hear any thoughts, comments or bits of advice.

Cheers

Stu
lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 11:04pm
Stu interesting post
As a fanatical lure fishermen my first recommendation is integrity action than finish
Get the first two right than the finish will improve with the added bonus of catching fish
Cheers Graeme
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 11:16pm
Cheers Graeme. I think very similar, prefect finishes are only good for the angler. I do wish I could do it though. I would like to get to the point where I think my lures would be as good as commercial, and would like to be able to get similar finishes, even if just for giving them to friends. I'm currently under employed, and out would be nice to supplement income with something like this, but not the aim.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 6:49am
Thanks stu.....your obviously well into...great post...good to see how and why others do it.
Never tried a lathe but something i hope to one day get around to having a go.
As mentioned doing it for the right reasons and catching fish is the main aim...its been said before fish are not art critics.
Plenty of guys on here get great finishes on their lures just using spray cans....no matter how you do it....it all comes down to practice practice practice.....its natural for us to want to present a product that looks nicely finished..it happens overtime.....but i still like a bloody ugly lure....if made right....
Thanks for posting....look forward to seeing how they unfold and a few pics with fish.....
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2015 at 9:50am
Thanks jas. I think it's probably time I invested in some newer cans of paint in that case, see what I can achieve.
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:42pm
You only need black and white paint Stu LOL

Your more than welcome to come up the hill anytime for some info mate.

Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 6:56pm
Thanks Scott. To be honest I didn't want to ask you, cause your doing it for a job and that would be handing out some of the precious info that makes your lures yours. I do like your paint schemes though, simple, but still looks like I couldn't do it! Its those extra colours and pearls etc.

Currently I'm trying to perfect jitterbug style bibs, both for bass lures and bigger ones for cod, which I'm starting to get the itch to chase.
Simple......
Done poorly
nutter View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Nutterjuck Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 7:08pm
No prob but only happy to help if needed. 
One word for surface bibs
Aluminium 

Enjoy the lure making trip
Nutterjuck Lures
Simple, done well

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic